PDA

View Full Version : Mushrooms in a Nano?

shermlock
01/23/2003, 11:44 AM
Does anybody have mushrooms in a Nano? Do you see any problems with them and their releasing of toxin? Do you use a little reef carbon? Any corals you wouldn't keep with them?
Thanks,
Shermlock

gregmoeck
01/23/2003, 07:24 PM
I have a large patch of green stripe, 3 large fuzzy and ricordia. I am noticing my leathers dont like something, and it may be the shrooms. I dont know.

Will
01/23/2003, 08:37 PM
I've got several mushrooms in my 20H. Only problem is they sting the hell out of anything they touch.. I kind of don't like them all that much.
-Will

printerdown01
01/25/2003, 12:18 AM
I love shrooms. Just about any coral as some form of chemical warefare, it is nessicary for survival. Shrooms are a terrible idea in SPS tanks, that is for sure. But most softcorals can handle the toxins. They are really not released into the water in measureable quantites that we are aware of, and don't seem to have any effects on inhabitants unless they are directly touching them. This is true with zoanthids, shrooms, ricordia and just about every cnidarian. Leathers as well produce extreamly unfavorable results when they are touching something, as will star polyps, xenia and just about anything you can think of. The trick is really to manage "compatability" in the tank. For instance shrooms, xenia, and zoanthids generally do not bother one another. If you wish to add a leather to a tank containing the 3 mentioned before, you just have to give it some space. There are however some corals that will expel toxins when stressed (there is some evidence that xenia when extreamly stressed can release toxins) and extend sweepers to sting neighbors that are further away. The only problem I have ever had with shrooms was one that bailed off and landed next to my porites colony and began living there. Eventually the tissue began pulling away from the skeleton where the shroom was touching -easy fix, remove the shroom ;).

Agu
01/25/2003, 10:24 PM
the problem with shrooms in a nano, imo, is that given good conditions they can multiply and spread quickly. That's not an issue in a larger tank but in a nano they can eat up a lot of space in a short time. I don't have shrooms, xenia, or star polyps in my nano for that reason.

jmo,

Agu

clowdy
01/28/2003, 05:50 AM
i think shrooms are a great choice. they are super easy to keep and come in evey color you can think of. as long as you have to SPS you'll be fine. but yes, every so often you will have to move one or remove a few when they start to take over. but just remeber a reef is a living growing thing so no matter what you put into it, you will always have to do a little maintenence. your LFS wil probably give you a couple of bucks for your shrooms when you need to get rid of some. if you are a beginner then shrooms are a great way to go, you couln't kill them if you tried :D

investigator1
02/02/2003, 02:48 AM
Dear Everyone,

I think that it is lame to think that you can jam corals in a small space and expect them to:

A- Fill all spaces and look nice
B- Only grow to a size that makes you happy!
C- Get along perfectly.

We are dealing with nature here.

I have some rare orange ricordia in my tank. It reproduces like mad. So what do I do? I rake in the dough on frag sales. Why are you guys not thinking this way? Make your tank pay for itself and look nice and healthy.

Just my petty thoughts.

-Investigator1

NanoLurker
02/02/2003, 01:14 PM
agreed. i like the look of a "random" tank. i am working on a tank with nothing but mushrooms, rics, and zoo's. just letting them do their thing without any thought as to what i think would look best. where did you get your orange ric's from? too much to hope that you're in southern cal, huh. i'm definately interested in them.

ThingsReef
02/02/2003, 09:40 PM
Does anybody have mushrooms in a Nano?

Yes, definitely!

Do you see any problems with them and their releasing of toxin?

No.

investigator1
02/03/2003, 02:51 AM
Yes I am in San Diego So Cal. Actually Poway.

NanoLurker
02/03/2003, 11:19 AM
if they ever get out of control let me know, i'd be more than happy to "adopt" a few. i'm in orange county, just a hop skip and jump away (soitiswritten2002@yahoo.com). thanks.

pistonfister
02/06/2003, 09:50 AM
Yes the mushrooms spread but its definetly easy to control. I have had mushrooms in my 10 gallon for 2 years and do not regret it. There easy to take care of and inexpensive. Also very easy to frag.