PDA

View Full Version : 5 gallon nano - Cleaner and Peppermint?

MayerKT
01/22/2003, 12:14 PM
Hello All

As my 5 gallon AGA acrylic Minibow tank is cycling (one more week left I figure) I am contemplating the inhabitants of this tank. As I am not sure yet about keeping a small goby (neon or green clown) in the tank for a while, I am considering keeping two small shrimp (one peppermint and one cleaner) instead.

The question is, has anyone kept these two species together in small quarters such as this? I had two peppermint and one cleaner in a 35 gallon, and no one bothered each other.....its just an idea and I would like to hear your comments.

Other tankmates would include 1 trochus snail, 1 scarlet hermit and 1 or 2 blue legged - all small specimens. Also some mushrooms and zooanthids. Its a office tank, so nothing fancy here!

I really would like to just have one cleaner, but I have a few small aiptasia that I know will get out of hand if I dont get a peppermint in there soon.

Keep in mind with this scenario as well as the fish option - I have other tanks so as soon as they get too large for the 5 gallon I will transport them to a new home.

All comments are appreciated!

Thanks!
Karin

AzSnake
01/22/2003, 08:47 PM
I would go with a cleaner. I have never heard of a cleaner causing a problem. You never know with peppermints. You can get a good one that is a saint or a little devil. I have watched one of my peppermints tear apart a open brain coral in my main tank and this was a peppermint, not a mistaken camel back or other similar shrimp.