PDA

View Full Version : Biotope/Marine Plant forum?

skylsdale
01/21/2003, 06:05 PM
Over the last year or so I've seen a pretty big trend in the interest of biotope aquaria, especially in the areas of seagrasses, etc.(it's nice to no longer be alone in this!) More and more people are researching and dedicating systems to try and sustain marine plants.

With that interest, what is the possibility of setting up a forum dedicated to this more specialized area of the hobby? Granted, it will most likely have a pretty small following, but IMO this is going to be a crucial first step into the more natural and "holistic" ways hobbyists are trying to setup their reef systems.

It would be nice to have a separate forum where these discussions can take place, rather than resurrecting old threads with a discussion that contains all sorts of different tangents, no matter how related to the main topic they are.

What do you guys think?

JohnL
01/21/2003, 07:22 PM
Sure, give me a few days to set it up.

skylsdale
01/21/2003, 07:32 PM
Right on JohnL...thanks!

Keep me updated.

Crawdad1
01/22/2003, 02:31 PM
skylsdale, I'm looking forward to this forumn! I just might dedicate some of my new sump to a seagrass biotape.

JohnL
01/23/2003, 09:03 PM
Enjoy!

jersey
01/23/2003, 09:18 PM
Man, I love this place. Very timely new forum, I'm about to set up a 40 gal refugium for my new 120.

Thanks skylsdale and JohnL.

skylsdale
01/23/2003, 10:12 PM
Thanks JohnL for taking the time to set this up!

billsreef
01/23/2003, 11:57 PM
skylsdale, thanks for suggesting it ;)

dupontsniper
01/25/2003, 12:32 AM
I agree this is great. Freshwater plant tanks. Why not saltwater plant tanks? If they can do it, we can do it better :) lol JK perfect timing as my 72 bow has become overgrown with 8-9 different species of clippings from our 55. I actually took nylon bird netting, and strung it tight against the back glass, and intertwined different 6" pieces of different caulerpas through it(so when it sexes, it doesnt all sex at once). Anybody in the area who needs caulerpas, seawees, hairgrass, couple types of halimeda, unknown ( I call it ball algae) hard ball algae, let me know, have more than enough, and feel terrible everytime I have to throw any away. Shane
ps by the way, the caulerpa background is starting to look good, just did it aweek ago, and is starting to take shape really nice. Was curious with the affects and growth, as this is my experimental tank with pressure fed vertical lift outlets.

EdKruzel
01/25/2003, 03:19 AM
Great topic, with all the plant talk in the other forums this area should have been formed long ago.

I just finished my annual "major" cropping and removed about 35lbs of macros from my tank.

I've also just added some true plants I got from our moderator here; Thanks again Bill :thumbsup:

IMO they are a must for lagoon style tanks and keeping certain corals thriving long term such as Goniopora and Elegance.

I have placed a goni with several receded areas in my planted tank and the grow back/healing is remarkably fast.

Dupont,
Nice tag, you sound like an instructor I knew in Benning.

Take Care,
Ed

wizardgus®
01/25/2003, 08:43 AM
I see most of the posters in this thread are old hands around here, but in case you missed it, keep an eye on Randy's Chemistry forum. He is doing some interesting studies into Macros and iodine with side discussions on heavy metal uptake. I think the importance of Macros and plants to our tanks is going to be very interesting over the coming year.

dupontsniper
01/25/2003, 09:17 AM
Ed, I noticed in your pic the (what I call feather caulerpa) fern type stuff in the front of your lagoon area. Have you had any probs with it sexing more so than other varieties? I have had it 4 times, and each time after a couple monthes it sexes hard and ends up dying off. Thanks for any answers, Shane.
Dupont, Nice tag, you sound like an instructor I knew in Benning. Thanks :) Not a fan of failure, sign of a weak mind :)

EdKruzel
01/25/2003, 11:49 AM
The feather (it's what I call it also) is C. mexicana.
I tried to remove all of it during my annual cropping but as you can see it's in full force comeback mode.
The very top back piece of rock is also C. mexicana.

The day before it expells it turns a dark green, the following day yellow than white. It does seem to go asexual more often than say the C. prolifera shown to the right of the goniopora.

Just to the left rear of the goni are some sea grass blades; however they don't show very well in the photo.

On the left upper area is some large growths of a Sargassum sp. which came attched to some Fiji rock.

From what I have noticed; all macros need a "mass" pruning once a year. They will grow back with what little clings to the substrate and rock.
C. mexicana and C. racemosa seem to produce a stronger chemical substance which can do more damage to corals than the waste they absorb.

I prefer sea grass and longer "bladed" caulerpa for refugiums as well as xenia for nutrient export.

Does anyone have a nice growth of Halymenia? I can't get my nitrates high enough to keep that beautiful red plant.

Take Care,
Ed

wizardgus®
01/25/2003, 12:01 PM
Hi Ed,'
Been waiting to ask this of someone who might know. I have what looks very similar to your feather C. I got some from IPSF and some from IA, they refered to it as long feather. In looking in the references I have I can't decide between C.mexicana, C. taxifolia, and a third one (escapes me right now) C. s (something) are there distinguishing characteristics between these? Thanks

EdKruzel
01/25/2003, 01:01 PM
Wizardgus,
An order from IA was probably C. mexicana from the red sea.

Many believe that taxifolia & mexicana are strains related to one another; however according to a study in '98 (Jousson et al. 1998, Olsen et al. 1998) the are two complete different strains and not conspecific. This is based on the lTS rDNA study.

Can you post a close-up of the plant in question?

Ed

wizardgus®
01/25/2003, 02:02 PM
You bet. I just learned how to use my blasted camera after 5 years, macro, white, shut off flash, :D so been dying for an excuse. Will be tomorrow though as I'm at work right now. Have you checked in at the algae ID thread this forum? I'm hung-up on it. Maybe you'll know. Thanks the other name was C. sertularoids, looks the same in what I can find.

EdKruzel
01/25/2003, 03:02 PM
I did see that thread however I can't make out the picture well enough for a good guess.

I forgot to ask earlier if the blades are tight spaced and of moderate length, or long and loosely spaced?
(taxfolia vs mexicana or sertularioides)

A good way to film plants is in a shallow white dish or container
(I use a tray from a cooler) with a little tank water for buoyancy.

Take Care,
Ed

wizardgus®
01/25/2003, 03:05 PM
Good tip on photo, I'll try it. BTW he reposted better pics in other thread. Later

Scleractinian
01/26/2003, 08:51 AM
I had been waiting for this one too... now all we need is a seagrass source...

EdKruzel
01/26/2003, 11:18 AM
Rob,
Ask and you shall receive!

Our moderator here has hands on knowledge and sells the stuff as well.

Fair prices, packed well, prompt service. Highly recommended in my book.

http://www.reeflink.com/billsreef/

Give 'em a try :D

billsreef
01/26/2003, 09:03 PM
Just an FYI, the link Ed posted is an old link on a server that I had access problems with. New link is www.billsreef.com

EdKruzel
01/26/2003, 11:23 PM
I just added the update to my favorites and will change it on my website as well.

Thanks Bill,

Ed