PDA

View Full Version : How to "Move" a shroom?

figuerres
01/20/2003, 04:44 PM
Hi I have a rock with some shrooms....

there are some small ones "under" the others.

they are close together so that when they are open they all touch and overlap each other.

I'd like to get one or two of them onto other rocks in my tank so they can spread a bit.... and hopefully have some to frag / trade later.....

I don't want to exactly "Frag" them ... can I move them some how with out killing them or over stressing them?

Thanks!!

Mandoman
01/20/2003, 04:58 PM
Mushrooms are immortal!!!
Use a razor or sharp knife to cut them off the rock and move them to where you want them . The trick is making them stay in the place you want them. Low current helps.
Shrooms are beautiful, but they can take over your tank, so don't let them get on any rock that you want mushroom free!

figuerres
01/20/2003, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by Mandoman
Mushrooms are immortal!!!
Use a razor or sharp knife to cut them off the rock and move them to where you want them . The trick is making them stay in the place you want them. Low current helps.
Shrooms are beautiful, but they can take over your tank, so don't let them get on any rock that you want mushroom free!

and the "base" cells left on the parent rock will tend to start more of them if it lives yes?

how would I make it stay? other than lack of water flow....

do I remove the colony from the tank, then cut and wash them in clean salt water ??

I'm new at this so.... are there any links to details on this stuff?

Mandoman
01/21/2003, 07:11 PM
and the "base" cells left on the parent rock will tend to start more of them if it lives yes?
this is correct

how would I make it stay? other than lack of water flow....

this is the hard part. Since mushrooms do not grow in a colony like polyps, it is hard to make them stay. I find a quiet corner of my tank and wait a few days.

do I remove the colony from the tank, then cut and wash them in clean salt water ??

Remove them from the tank, cut them off, and use your tank water to reduce any stress.

You will do well!!:)

wanareef
01/22/2003, 07:53 AM
or you could use the bowl method- place coarse arrgonite of crushed shells in a bowl and place the shrooms in it and place the bowl in a low flow sopt and in a week or less they will attach just glue the piece they have attached themselves to with ca to a spot where you want tham

works for me

hth :D

Atticus
02/03/2003, 03:34 AM
I always use the method wannareef stated with great success. I use a plastic bowl and throw rubble and shroom frags in it. Place bowl in a low flow area and have shroom frags to trade within a week.