PDA

View Full Version : Spaghetti algae availibilty

balance75
01/20/2003, 02:32 AM
I am preparing to setup my refugium tomorrow and would like to get my hands on spaghettie algae b/c i heard caulerpa releases harmul toxin. Does anyone here have any spaghetti algae that they need to get rid of or want to sell that is within the bay area. I live near oakland/san francisco area? Or does anhone know any local bay area store that may have this stuff? Appreciate your help.

balance75
01/20/2003, 03:04 AM
Oh...i forgot to include xenia's.

griss
01/20/2003, 09:42 AM
Balance, you might want to try checking in the trading forum http://www.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=89. If that does not work, check one of the Reef Clubs near you such as http://www.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=52.

Griss

balance75
01/20/2003, 02:11 PM
Thank you Griss...i'll check it out.

griss
01/21/2003, 09:51 AM
I'd be happy to give you some, but I am sure you don't want to pay $30 shipping for just some Macro.

Griss

balance75
01/23/2003, 07:41 PM
If only i had won that damn lottery!!! Thanks though.

worf59
01/26/2003, 01:03 PM
FWIW Macros will usually survive priority mail....which costs around $8. I got mine that way.

griss
01/29/2003, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by worf59
FWIW Macros will usually survive priority mail....which costs around $8. I got mine that way.
Worf, the problem with spaghetti and shipping is the amount of microfauna that takes up residence in the algae. This life is impossible to remove prior to shipping. For example, mine is full of bristleworms, pods, mysid shrimps, stomatella snails and strombus snails. Because of this I hesitate to ship it priority.

Griss

worf59
01/29/2003, 04:59 PM
Hey Griss

That's a detritivore kit!! (G) I understand your point, but I'm not sure that the resulting ammonia would do the spaghetti much harm. I could definitely be wrong about that though. Of course it would mean sacrificing all the other critters in there. If the critters are moot, you could dip the spaghetti in malachite green or something to get rid of them, but that seems like an awful waste.
I got some caulerpa from ebay once and the guy wrapped it in a filtering fabric with just enough water to keep it moist......worked great! I wonder if that would work with those critters?