PDA

View Full Version : too many Fish in my 6 gallon?

gundaman
01/19/2003, 03:34 AM
Hi i currently have 4 fish in my 6 gallon nano, i have:

1 inch false percula.
1 inch Pajama cardinal
1 inch orange spotted filefish
1 inch orange firefish goby

Does anyone think i have too many fish in my nano and will cause an ammonia problem? looking forward to hearing any responses, thank you.

BadFishToo
01/19/2003, 05:16 AM
It might be OK for now... but all of those fish get bigger than one inch. So it wont be cool for long....

technoshaman
01/19/2003, 02:24 PM
You have way too many fish. I would stick with just the firefish or the perc and trade the others back in or give them to someone with a larger tank.

gundaman
01/19/2003, 02:50 PM
Okay, im thinking about putting the filefish in my 30 gallon then, i currently have in that tank

1 flame angel
1 baby blue tang
1 Orange fire fish goby
1 purplefire fish goby
1 orange spotted goby
1 lime green wrasse
2 false perculas

KorbinDallas
01/19/2003, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by gundaman
too many Fish in my 6 gallon

I can answer that just by reading the subject line. YES. More than 1 fish is too many in my opinion.

clowdy
01/19/2003, 04:58 PM
i've had 2 for a long time now and it works well for me but you have to be really good about weekly water changes. also i would invest in a small refugium, it makes more fish a bit more workable. but i think you'll find more than 2 is too many. you might still be able to keep some hardy softies but anything else will not do well with the high amonia levels and spikes caused by more than 2 fish.

printerdown01
01/25/2003, 03:17 PM
Def to many fish for the tank. Even if you picked up a huge sump, to handle the ammonia, you are still going to have a space issue when everyone grows. I have actually seen a 7 gallon with 4-5 fish done very nicely (and in a proper manner). The fish however, were neon and red-headed gobies (plus one other teeny fish). Even in that situation when the tiny gobies began to get bigger they were forced to move to a new home. I would expect high ammonia from you tank eventually, as well as over crowding. I would go with one of those listed.

lowpro1
01/29/2003, 08:03 AM
after readaing your post it sounds like you not only over crowded your 7, but your 30. you should really take it easy on buying fish until you upgrade to a bigger tank. IMO

Lunchbucket
01/29/2003, 08:47 AM
TOO MANY FISH in both tanks. get rid of some of them. i would only do 1 in the 6gal and about 4-5 in the 30gal. and NOT a tang in that tank...also a flame...cumpulsive fish buyer are we?

Lunchbucket

lowpro1
01/29/2003, 09:19 AM
exactly what i was thinking, my cousin only does fresh and he is one of them. he has about 15 fish in a 55 gallon tank. not bad for fresh, but when half of them get to be a foot in length and possibly longer and they are all aggressive, the future of those fish dont look too prominent. and putting a tang in a 30 gallon, thats like trying to fit a circle shape into the triangle spot in one of those little shape things you used to play with in 1st grade. sure you can make it fit, but does it look right? and beside the fact that its just not supposed to happen. so i would go with alot smaller fish. maybe a damsel, gobies, dwarf angels ect...

Mr James
01/30/2003, 11:33 AM
Gundaman, I have only one fish in my 5.5g, a Domino Damsel, "Fats". And he really isn't even in there, he's been invited to dinner by my Mantis Shrimp, "Cracka". He replaced "Muddy the Mudskipper" who was also invited to dinner back around Christmas.

Flanders
01/30/2003, 01:07 PM
You must be either joking or crazy. I hope you're joking.

Lunchbucket
01/30/2003, 01:11 PM
mr james that is HILLARIOUS! hmm wonder what they are having for dinner?

Lunchbucket

Mr James
01/30/2003, 03:54 PM
Flanders, were you talking to me or to someone else?? Youu didn't say to whom you were speaking.

Lunchbucket, Thanks for the compliment!! That 5.5g is on my desk at work and we love to joke around about who Cracka is going to have over for dinner. I am upgrading it to a 10g very shortly. BTW, I just wanted to let you know that I am following your 20g tall threads and links to your website very closely. I have added a 20g tall with a 10g sump to my office at home and plan for a very similar tank set-up. I would like to do an SPS dominated tank and trade, sell or simply transfer the frags to my 125g.

Lunchbucket
01/31/2003, 08:33 AM
cool, let me know if you need any help w/ the 20H stuff :D

Lunchbucket

Flanders
01/31/2003, 12:17 PM
Sorry, Mr. James, I was talking to the original poster. You sound a little twisted but otherwise relatively sane! ;)

Cap'nPete
02/01/2003, 06:50 PM
Have to agree with the one small fish response. Nano's are more for coral than fish. If you want a fish tank get a BIG tank. :)

Will
02/02/2003, 01:48 PM
Anyone else smell a troll?
-Will (feeling suspicious)

ThingsReef
02/02/2003, 09:33 PM
too many Fish in my 6 gallon

YES,

Watch your param's carefully and don't feed too much. I've noticed alot of Zoo's, mushrooms, Star polyps and the like can help with load. Good luck...

ThingsReef
02/02/2003, 09:36 PM
P.S. Ammonia-probably not if your tank has cycled. Nitrates and Algae will be your problem...do you have filtration or skimming?

XxAngelzDustxX
02/04/2003, 01:02 AM
IMO there are WAY too many fish in both tanks. In my 30 I have just 2 fish(Flame Angel and a Maroon Clown) and I think theres no room for anymore in my tank. I would lose the Filefish. In the 6-gallon I would keep 1 fish max. In the 30 gallon i would keep 4 fish max. But thats just my O2. :D

I might be wrong but aren't filefish supposed to be difficult to care for? I thought i read that they needed a lot of sponge to munch on, but i might be wrong again. :confused: