PDA

View Full Version : Bangaii Fry - Sexually Mature when ?

Clyde
01/28/2001, 03:02 PM
A few fry swimming around in my 15 gallon or so grow out/refugium tank..

how long do they take to get sexually mature ? so I can start keeping an eye on fighitng etc

and thing like that

thanks

FMarini
01/29/2001, 02:28 PM
Cylde:
your question is one we often debate here. About 1 yr ago i would hacve sworn that sexually maturity was reached around 8 month of age, as I had literally 20-50 animal start breed around then. But now K Clarke has reported that his 6 month old F1s have successfully bred. So I guess we can lower this age to 6-8months. So Lets dedate this some more, but we'll leave it in this "range" of time.
frank

Clyde
01/29/2001, 07:21 PM
great, so I can just leave em in there, if my parents breed again next month, I swould havent to worry too much about agression for the next 6 months

but, again I will lose track which is younger/older

thanks for the tip

keith clarke
01/29/2001, 10:29 PM
Hi Clyde,
The pair that successfully bred at 6 months were an obvious pair in a crowd of smaller siblings at 3 to 4 months of age. They showed some agression towards siblings at that age, but not deadly force. A lot of herding and harassment at feeding time was observed.

The size differential between broods will be significant so you won't have too much trouble determining broodmates.

Continued success,
keith