PDA

View Full Version : How much circulation for a nano?

mhmh
01/16/2003, 12:48 PM
I'm planning on setting up a 10 gallon nano-reef. I see many people's nanos are using HOB filters with media removed plus multiple powerheads. I have a tank with a Penguin mini filter without the Bio-Wheel. If I add a Micro-Jet 450, will I have enough circulation?

Is there an article that discusses circulation needs?

DgenR8
01/17/2003, 12:52 PM
Hmmmm, Amount of circulation necessary in a larger tank depends on who lives there, I expect that to be the same in a nano, but nano tanks aren't always smaller versions of large tanks, they have their own specific needs. I'm sorry I can't be of more help, but I know where to find the folks that can! They are right here at Reef Central, in the nano forum.
I'm going to put your thread there, as I expect better replies from the folks that keep little tanks. :D

[moved]

mhmh
01/18/2003, 12:15 PM
Bump

Lunchbucket
01/18/2003, 07:02 PM
all depends on what you plan on keeping in it. you could get by w/ a pengin or an aqua clear HOT filter w/ no media if you want shrooms. if you want some LPS then i would maybe add a little powerhead or even a HOT closed loop. if you want SPS i suggest that you have a closed loop w/ a mag 5 or 7 and a good return pump if you have a sump. other wise a couple powerheads and a HOT filter

Lunchbucket

Agu
01/18/2003, 10:49 PM
unless you're planning on SPS corals, a hob filter (media removed) and powerhead should provide adequate flow in a nano. A penguin and powerhead should be fine, but I'd probably move up to a more powerful powerhead, probably a maxi 600 (180 gph) or 900 (230 gph). It may seem excessive, but it really isn't. And if you upgrade the powerhead will still be usable on a larger tank.

Agu

UTpercula
01/25/2003, 11:06 PM
A mag 7 may be a little excessive for a 10 gallon considering that would turn your water completely over about every 50 seconds. A mag 3 would do just fine, unless you are going for a sea swirl in a nano.

Lunchbucket
01/26/2003, 01:56 PM
UTpercula - yeah i am sure it is excessive. just posted what i used on my 10 gal tank. worked great...FLOW up the ying yang!!

Lunchbucket