PDA

View Full Version : sand bed set up question

Green Lantern
01/28/2001, 02:44 PM
Hi Ron,

In the near future I'll be ready to set up my 120gal tank. It will replace my 75gal. My old tank does not have a DSB but the new one will.

I've noticed you say that a DSB is problem free if set up correctly with the right diversity of life and size of sand particles. I plan on having a 4-6" bed of sand (southdown) that will be seeded with migrators from the old live rock as well as some new rock. I also plan on making a trip down to your friend Trev at Salt Water City for some live sand. Would this be significant diversity for a live sand bed? If so, how much live sand would you suggest to seed my dead sand?

Here in Canada getting the starter kits cost an arm and a leg and I'd like to try to avoid it but am not against doing it if necessary.

Troy

rshimek
01/28/2001, 03:00 PM
Hi Troy,

Your bed will get a good start with the migrators from the rock. I haven't seen Trev's live sand, but I suspect, like most LFS sand, that it won't have a lot of invertebrates in it, and you need to max out their diversity. So... do what the wallet will bear.

You might give Trev a call and see what is in their sand.

Additionally, you might see if they would order in a starter kit or two for you from either Inland Aquatics or IPSF. If they would (or if you could order for delivery to them), then you could arrange to be there when the kits came or shortly thereafter. A quick trip up north and you would have some good starter stuff in your tank a few hours after getting from them.

No matter how you set it up, wait a couple of weeks before adding any fish to the tank. This will allow the inverts to get established with out any incidental fish predation, and maximizes survival. In this period, feed the tank lighly.

Green Lantern
01/28/2001, 03:35 PM
Hi Troy,

Your bed will get a good start with the migrators from the rock. I haven't seen Trev's live sand, but I suspect, like most LFS sand, that it won't have a lot of invertebrates in it, and you need to max out their diversity. So... do what the wallet will bear.

I was afraid you might say that :) , I was predisposed to do it anyway but hoped I could get around it. Once again proving doing things right is not usually cheap!

No matter how you set it up, wait a couple of weeks before adding any fish to the tank. This will allow the inverts to get established with out any incidental fish predation, and maximizes survival. In this period, feed the tank lighly.

I'll be setting the tank up across the room from the old one and will have both systems running for a minimum of a month so your advice will be easy to follow.

As usual thanks a million! Your new forum is exceptional.

Troy