PDA

View Full Version : Beldt's Consignment sale 2/2

jcab2000
01/14/2003, 10:00 PM
Hello all, I'm just starting out in saltwater and just bought a 75 gallon tank that is going to stay empty for awhile as I read about 5 billion articles and books.

Anyway, I just wanted to pass the word along that Beldt's is having a consignment sale on February 2nd from 10-6. Also, they're supposedly getting rid of discontinued items, close outs, etc. I don't know how great it will be or anything. They're also having a "Huge Fish Sale" that day.

Can't say that I'm that impressed with the advice I got there though. The only good advice I got was to buy a bigger tank than what I thought I wanted. The person helping me acted like setting up a tank was no big deal. I asked about skimmers and they said that I didn't really need one. All I needed was a power filter and one powerhead (nope, not 2). Yes, this is for fish only, but that's seems ridiculous from what I've read since then. Now that I look back at it, it's pretty obvious they just wanted to sell a tank that day. Of course it's probably a good thing since my wife was with me. hehe

TooFar2Sea
01/15/2003, 11:55 AM
Welcome to St Louis Saltwater Fun!!! Thanks for the info on Beldt's. You can often get great deals on equipment at consignment sales.
As you have already found out, everyone has a different idea on how to put together a tank. The advice that you get at the LFS can range from accurate and insightful to foolish and downright dangerous (sounds like the internet). Keep up your research until you find a setup that you are comfortable with. Do a search here on ReefCentral on the fish you hope to keep. You should find many posts that will describe both what has worked and what has not worked in keeping them. For example, I recently added a dwarf fuzzy lionfish and the info in the "fish only & aggressive" forum was very valuable. Finally, there is a local organization of saltwater enthusiasts. You can find more info on them at SEASL (http://www.seasl.org/) .