PDA

View Full Version : Lighting, can u help?

Grunt
01/27/2001, 08:12 PM
Hello Dr. Ron I would just like to say thanks about answering my last question(s).
I posted this once on the main board but recieved few replies..I was wondering if you could help me out, because Im not sure what to get.

"Well I believe its time for upgrading! I currently have a 30gal tank with 45Watts over it 3-15 watt bulbs, one being a 50/50 coralife. Now I have a glass hood and my covers sit on top of that. The tank is a few inches off the wall.

I was thinking maybe around 4 watts per gallon...so 120WATTS. Now I want to keep stuff like polyps and shrooms...maybe a few corals. How much would 120 or so watts costs me??? I think I either have to get PC or MH????? Then how am I going to place it on top? Do I need fans to control the heat? I've been told a 2x55 PC setup might be good, but im not sure on the bulbs. Do they come with bulbs? Do I need to buy certain types, spectrums? Would I need to get 1 55watt bulb of the regular type, and the second be a actinic blue 03? I heard you run actinic at a different time tho. So would I only have one light running? Any help would be appreciated! I would like to get this in the near future, but with this hobby its all patience.Im just looking for the best information that can be offered. Can you explain anything to me? Thanks
-Grunt
:)
(This was edited from the original post)

rshimek
01/27/2001, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by Grunt
How much would 120 or so watts costs me???

I can't help you there. Do some comparison shopping on line.

I think I either have to get PC or MH????? Then how am I going to place it on top?

I built a bracket holt my lights. I think there ought to be plenty of DIY ideas floating around out there in cyberland.

Do I need fans to control the heat?

Possibly. Plan on it, then if you don't need them, you can always just turn 'em off.

I've been told a 2x55 PC setup might be good, but im not sure on the bulbs. Do they come with bulbs?

Generally, but check and see what the dealer says. For online folks, they generally have a phone number. Call and talk to somebody.

Do I need to buy certain types, spectrums?

With PC's you have 2 choices, basically daylight white, and actinics. With MH you have many choices, about as many as you have dollars. This is pretty much your choice. There are a LOT of data out there on lights. You will have to make up your own mind as to whom you believe.

Would I need to get 1 55watt bulb of the regular type, and the second be a actinic blue 03?

You may get any combination that you feel is valid.

I heard you run actinic at a different time tho.

I don't, mine are all on or all off.

Can you explain anything to me?

I am afraid you are going to have to bite the bullet and do a bit of reading here - and then make up your own mind. Each system is different, and you will want to tailor your lights to your animals.

QUOTE]

Grunt
01/28/2001, 01:51 PM
Well Ok Dr. Ron.
Thanks for the info. I was up till around 4 last night looking at all the information I could. I jsut got back for the LFS. After talking for an hour or so, I decided it would be best for me to get the 2X65Watt(130) 24inch Power Compact(199.99 + tax). It comes with 1 reg and 1 actinic blue blub, and a fan.
Thanks
-Grunt

hughem
01/29/2001, 01:39 PM
I don't know what Grunt's filtration setup is, but if corals are in the future, nitrates in a 30g might be an issue.

If using MH, the catch is that the wide variety of bulbs come in larger wattage -- with 30 gallons, it is a little wide for one fixture, but two might be too much light and heat. I'd lean towards the PCs. Also the penetration of MH isn't required in a 30.

There are several online vendors that sell PC hoods/fixtures and they usually come with bulb mix of your choice.

ravenmore
01/29/2001, 10:35 PM
Grunt,

I'd go PC's. The LOA (lights of america) flourex lights from Home Depot might be a good start. They are PC lights, 6500k, and in a water resistant housing. The big plus is that they sell for $30!. I'd maybe get 2 of those and a couple of 36" NO actinic - for some reason the LOA's by themselves seem to set off a cyano bloom. I added a single 20watt NO actinic to my 20 gal (see website for current pic)and the cyano went away very rapidly. This way you can obtain 130watts + of lighting for probably under $100 AND get very even light distribution. I might recommend a small, clip on fan from Walmart/Target ect... to ventilate the hood. Just clip 'em on the back somewhere pointing into the hood.

Hope this helps!!!!

-Mike