PDA

View Full Version : Maxima on Sanbed?

GOOD (G)REEF
01/27/2001, 08:01 PM
Hi!

I wanna get a maxima for my 30 gallon long reef tank, and I was planning on putting him on the substarte. Is this not possible? I have gotten Daniel Knopp's book yet, but I will soon. am I correct in assuming that they must be place don the rocks? The lighting will be four 36", 95 watt VHO lamps for 12.6 w/g. Two actinic, two daylight. Is this good?

herefishiefishie
01/28/2001, 09:52 PM
IMO, your lighting might be a little weak for a maxima, especially if you have it on the bottom on the substrate. Perhaps it would be better to place the clam a little closer to the light, up on the rocks. In a tank of this size with MH lighting, I would say it's probably close enough to the light on the substrate.

In the wild maxima clams are found on rock, and use their byssus glands to attach themselves to it. Whether putting them on the sand is detrimental in any significant way (other than being too far from the light) is anyone's guess, but it's my belief that while it's better to mimic nature as best we can, putting maximas and croceas on the sand is probably not detrimental in itself, as long as the light is sufficient.

Perhaps you could consider a derasa, gigas, or squamosa. These can be found in excellent colors and do not need to be as close to the light as maximas or croceas. Also, squamosas have pretty patterns and have scutes on their shells like maximas.

HTH

GOOD (G)REEF
01/29/2001, 06:13 PM
There's no way that almost 13 watts of light even from VHO wouldn't be enough for a maxima! The tank is only 16 inches depp. I guess if you say so though. I think I will just get a 250 watt MH retrokit. Maybe 10K or 65K supplemented with two 55 watt actinic PC's.

herefishiefishie
01/30/2001, 07:47 AM
Well, I am by no means the final authority on clams and their care. I'm just giving you my opinion.

Perhaps I have misjudged the amount of light you have in your tank. You might find that your setup will work just fine for your clam. However, I personally would not do it.

The reason I would not recommend keeping a maxima under anything less than MH lights is that I believe in providing the optimum environment for the clam. I think it's inadvisable to try to match the minimum requirements for a particular creature. IMHO, it's a plan with much less chance of success in the long run. So, rather than asking "can I get away with a clam in this amount of light," we should be asking "I want a clam, so what's the best amount of light to have?"

JMO

GOOD (G)REEF
01/30/2001, 07:21 PM
I'm not trying to short change the clam or anything, it's just that the MH would provide me with just as much light as the VHO. Maybe the MH has slightly more PAR, but the intensity is the same. At any rate, you have convinced me to go with a 250 watt 10K with 2 x 55 watt actinic pc's. With this I will not short change myself on lighting and it will look ghreta too.

mrphosphate
01/31/2001, 09:02 PM
try placing the clam on a rock buried in the sand bed underneath it. this will make the clam feel more secure once it is attached and yes u can probably use the lighting you have now for it!!

GOOD (G)REEF
02/03/2001, 12:13 PM
Yeah thanks mrphosphate! I was thinking about that. I could position it tilted slightly towards the glass poisitioned next to the rockwork so it could take hold. Maybe in a little crevice or something. Or I could get a seperate piece of rock and put it all out in the sandf bed completely.