PDA

View Full Version : Drilling a 15 gallon tank

wedfr
01/13/2003, 11:17 PM
Can you drill a 15 gallon tank? i wanna set up a nano with a 10 gallon sump. My LFS told me the smaller tanks (under 55 gallons or something use a differnt glass and if you try to drill them will shatter. But i hear of peopel doing it on here. Can it be done and how do you do it, what tools do i need or who do i bring it too.

pistonfister
01/13/2003, 11:44 PM
I wish I could tell you but I have the same quesion. I am wanting to drill my 10 gallon. I would like to see what people have to say

traveller7
01/14/2003, 09:53 AM
The smaller tanks definitely use different glass, it's thinner and more likely to crack if you apply too much pressure while drilling. "Shattering" would seem to imply tempered glass is used, but IME that is not the case with all-glass and perfecto as I have drilled lots of them.

IME success is increased when the side of the glass opposing the drill bit is supported instead of hanging in the wind :)

Check the tank manufacturer site or post the manufacturer and it can be determined if the glass is tempered.

If it is tempered do not drill it.

Lunchbucket
01/14/2003, 10:36 AM
sure can be done just have to be carefull w/ thinner glass.

there is a thread in the DIY forum some place about drilling a 10gal w/ a dremel tool. check it out

Lunchbucket

BruiseAndy
01/14/2003, 02:32 PM

BruiseAndy
01/14/2003, 02:36 PM
I have done the dremel thing and it works great. I use a dremel glass etching bit. Just draw a circle on the galss with a marker. Then etch the circle with the bit and keep going around until it goes all the way through in one spot. Then you can start dremeling the circle. Make sure to pour some water on it here and there to keep the glass cool. I have done 5 tanks so far ranging from 5g to a 20L. I am going to do one tomorrow and will take lots of pictures and make a step by step.

wedfr
01/14/2003, 02:49 PM
great, thanks guys, cant wait to see that step by step.

tgeppes
01/17/2003, 09:28 PM
i just wanted to let you guys know that about 2 hrs ago i drilled my tank using the dremel/rotozip idea. since my rotozip died out right as i was getting started i figured that i would try my cordless drill, thinking that 10 gal fish tanks are only about 8 bones it was worth it. I used the rotozip bit # rz125... it worked GREAT

tgeppes
01/17/2003, 09:39 PM
well.. i now have two holes in my 10gal that i am going to set up as a refuge to my 10 gal nano... it was actually.... FUN to do it... just go slow... i used water and soap to lub. the hole.... it really is easy... even a poor college boy like me can do it