PDA

View Full Version : Bubble coral

razorbackfan
01/27/2001, 10:07 AM
I'm on my 3rd bubble coral, the first 2 have died, and this one appears to be dying also. I have no problem with anything else, my tank is a 110, 2-400watt 12,000k mh, 2-160w actinics, all levels are good. I am careful not to damage the bubbles, use drip acclimation over several hours, it doesn't seem to matter where I place them, and have purchased all 3 from the same LFS. My latest bubble coral was fine for 3 weeks, then 2 days ago looked like this, and still does. Any ideas?

http://razorbackfan.topcities.com/dyingbubble.jpg

chrislove01
01/27/2001, 10:36 AM
Oh dear, I had mine for ages and it grew and grew.

Did you feed it at all, I used to feed mine a whole muscle once a week.

Other than that I have no clue, anyone else any ideas?

Chris

razorbackfan
01/27/2001, 10:51 AM
I feed all my corals nightly.

rshimek
01/27/2001, 11:22 AM
Hi,

This is just a shot in the dark, but in nature these are found in areas of low to even lower light intensity.

If you get another one, perhaps you should put it in a cave, it might be getting too much light.

Another possibility is that something like a crab or shrimp is attacking it. What else do you have in the tank?

Can you describe the manner of their demise. What happens first, then... etc.? There may be a clue or two in the pattern.

razorbackfan
01/27/2001, 01:48 PM
I removed all my crabs before I got this last one. I have 5 peppermint shrimp. I had the first one in a corner, little water flow, shaded. Second middle of rock, medium water flow, and this one top of rock, high light. They just fail to expand one day and seem to dissolve.

rshimek
01/27/2001, 02:19 PM
I think the culprits are likely the peppermint shrimp. While working in a pet store some years back, I used to watch these little buggers eat elegance and hammer corals. I suspect they wouldn't hesitate to snack on a bubble coral if they had the chance.

You might try checking on the coral a few hours after the lights have gone out and the room is dark. Sneak up on the tank with a flashlight and see if you can find the peppermints and determine their habits.

razorbackfan
01/27/2001, 04:37 PM
Thank you sir, I will do that tonight.

razorbackfan
02/03/2001, 05:42 PM
I didn't give up on my little Bubble Coral. I placed it under a ledge that is in shadow, and moderate current, fed it nightly. I removed all my peppermint shrimp, and there are small "bubbles" growing out of it. It might actually make it :D

ramman
02/05/2001, 03:48 PM
sorry to hear about your bubble,
i do not know if this is any use to you,but i have a bubble which is quite large and was sent to me over night.i keep it in a slow flow and only use 150w of NO light tubes[tank is 45g]so maybe it getting to much light?ramman.

rshimek
02/06/2001, 09:33 AM
Jim,

Good luck. Sounds like there may be a chance for a recovery. :D

Ironreef
02/07/2001, 01:09 AM
I use to keep alot of shrimp but they do seem to bother LSP, most everything does=fish ect. But one may not harm much if well feed. Alot of crabs/shrimp may not seem to get enough food. But I notice my LSP don't like to be directly under halide. My torch doesn't seem to mind but its captive prop maybe something to do with it. But my bubble and brain like to be shaded also. 400w the bubble may not like. I wonder if anyone keeps LSP under 400w and have good growth? Mid to high up in the tank?

razorbackfan
02/16/2001, 09:33 PM
Dr Ron I wanted to thank you for your advice. I followed it, and my bubble is looking better each day. :D

rshimek
02/17/2001, 09:20 AM
Great!!!

Glad to hear it. Let's hope it continues to get better. :)