PDA

View Full Version : got my new glass refugium for my minibow

vulkum
01/12/2003, 10:10 AM
i wanted to add a refugium to my minibow and didn't want a powerhead in the tank like the aquafuge so i contacted Christian at www.wetdryfilter.com after a couple of emails about size, function,and weight. we decided to make it sit behind the tank instead of hang-on. the unit is the same width as the tank and 5" deep, it is about 5" taller than the tank to allow a gravity feed back into the tank. the origianl strip light that came with the tank fits ontop of the fuge like it was ment for it.
fuge has 3 chambers with a maxijet 600 in the first chamber and 1" bulkheads for intake and return. i have a 6" sandbed in it to bring the macro and frags a bit closer to the light.
i decided to give christian a shot at making this after i saw Lunchbuckets 20H he ordered. all i can say is i'm very happy with the quaility and price as this should outlast a CPR fuge and is more versital as far as what it can be used for.
heres a couple pics

gilman
01/12/2003, 12:39 PM
That's pretty dang cool. I've been toying with ideas for a refugium on our MiniBow. The PH yanks water from the main tank which then overflows back into the main tank?

If you don't mind me asking, what did that run costwise?

Good job,

Gil

gilman
01/12/2003, 12:41 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot to ask if it's loud.........

Gil

vulkum
01/12/2003, 12:54 PM
goto www.wetdryfilter.com and check under special order for price. the thing doesn't make any sound at all. i had to add the elbows on the return to keep both sides under water or it sucks in air and made some noise, but once that was done its totally silent
aaron

gilman
01/12/2003, 01:05 PM
I want one.

Gil

Lunchbucket
01/13/2003, 06:26 AM
looks good. just like my old design that i ran on my 10 gal for a year or so :D i NEVER make any that HOT i ALWAYS make them sit on the stand....way better IMO.

nice piece but for 110...taht is a little high on his site if you ask me.

just watch the middle part w/ all that height. it will get pretty dead down on the bottom w/ no flow there. make sure you really get a few good sand stirrers in there.

Lunchbucket

gregmoeck
01/13/2003, 06:29 AM
I don't get it.. His site says "A powerhead will sit in the bottom of the first compartment and will draw water from the aquarium. "

how does a power head sit in the filter and draw water from the main tank? Also, Where does the power head current go? Confusing.

Lunchbucket
01/13/2003, 11:33 AM
the powerhead "sucks" water up the inet tube then blows it out. works just like normal except there is a tube attached to the inlet of the PH. works basically like a hang on tank filter like a aqua clear. you know how thier pump sucks up water into the filter box...that is the same priciple.

the water flow then prolly blows into that first chamber then runs over the top of the baffle to the 2nd chamber. that is the way the ones i designed were made.

Lunchbucket

Project Reef
01/16/2003, 04:19 AM
Gil, go for it.

Use Spaghetti Algea only though as your source of plant material.

P.S. see you at the swap