PDA

View Full Version : lighting options?

luminary
01/12/2003, 08:13 AM
After some conversations with a few of you at yesterdays meeting, I've started considering lowering the amount of light on my 50...now I'm looking for some suggestions...

Currently I'm running 2x250w 10KK ABs on Ice Cap ballasts.

Seems to me that I really only have two options...go to a lower output bulb or drop down to 175 watters. I'd prefer to try a lower output bulb before switching ballasts as I don't really want to shell out the $$ for new bulbs and new ballasts right now.

so....any suggestions? First thought was to switch to 20KK Radiums, but opinions don't seem to be too high on it...is that just because they aren't intense enough? If so, that's not a problem for me since I'm trying to lower my intensity.

stevemc
01/12/2003, 10:47 AM
Matt. I would do that, go to 20KK. That way you can go dimmer, but still have a good spectrum. And you dont have to get a new set up. Do you supplement with VHO or PC? Also if you dont like the 20KK you could sell them to me!;) . Good luck, which ever you chose and take some before and after pictures. Steve.

luminary
01/12/2003, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by stevemc
Matt. I would do that, go to 20KK. That way you can go dimmer, but still have a good spectrum. And you dont have to get a new set up. Do you supplement with VHO or PC? Also if you dont like the 20KK you could sell them to me!;) . Good luck, which ever you chose and take some before and after pictures. Steve.

I don't supplement with any VHO or PC...no room in my current canopy to add them. I was originally running the Sunbursts so they weren't necessary anyway.

You've run the 250w 20KK with good results?

scubadude
01/12/2003, 12:34 PM
Hey Matt :)

In Sanjay Joshis report the AB's par was 2nd to none (except iwasakis) if memory serves me correctly so I think that anything else would be a slight par reduction but there is also a catch 22, cuz when ever you put up some new bulbs the par is gonna be high until you get a burn in time....My suggestions is maybe try and find some slightly used Ushios? thus saving a bit of money and not worrieng about getting the extreme par from a new bulb. HTH

Rocky

stevemc
01/12/2003, 07:31 PM
Matt, I have not run 20KK, I have 2 250 watt Iwasakis on 250 watt Mercury Vapor cap and coil ballasts, with 2 110 watt VHO bulbs. I think the 20KK such as the radiums are a good looking bulb, not as bright of course as a bright white bulb such as a Iwasaki on a MV ballast. I do have a PFO dual 250 MH ballast and some extra Iwasakis, but would like to try radiums or another 20KK if they would work on that ballast. IE, not use the Iwasakis on a MH ballast. Its just the plain MH ballast. Supposedly the radiums give corals the best color, and Iwasakis make them grow the fastest. Rocky has radiums, Rocky how are your growth rates and colors under radiums? Also what do you have in your tank now, Matt? SPS and clams like lots of light of course, and softies and LPS dont need as much. Anyway, keep us informed. My mushrooms dont like halides. SPS seem to love as much as I give em. Steve.

rjung1
01/12/2003, 09:30 PM
Matt, I think going with 20K's is a great idea. I don't have first hand experience with the 250w, but on the 400w I think the color is excellent. From what I've read about the 250w 20K's some people feel they are just not bright enough, so it might be exactly what you are looking for (reduced intensity). Anyway, you could buy one 20K bulb first and see if you like it before spending the cash for two....

Another idea would be to cut back to using just one of your 250 halides (centered in the middle), and maybe adding a couple of VHO's or PC's running the length of the tank; placing your most light loving corals in the center and your LPS and softies towards the edges.

luminary
01/13/2003, 08:03 AM
Knew I could count on you guys!

Couple of comments...

It's been awhile since I've read Sanjays reports, but I thought the AB and Ushio bulbs were very similiar? I know that I've used both in 175w and other than a very slight color difference, the intensity appeared to be the same. Given that, I chose the AB over the Ushio for my 250s because the Ushio was slightly yellower to me (and since I don't have supplements...).

Most of the complaints I've read about the 250w Radium seems to be it's lack of intensity. Is it a decent bulb other than that? How does it compare, to say, the Sunburst, which not only is very low intensity, but also extremely focused on a very specific blue wavelength? Obviously the Radium is a blue bulb also, but does it have light in the other spectrums? As Robin said, if that's the case, then it's exactly what I'm looking for.

As for what's in my tank, it's a mix...Softies, LPS, SPS frags. What prompted all this is that I've not had much success with the SPS frags. I think my SPS problems are a combination of factors. In some cases, I think there is some chemical warfare going on. But in others, I think there is just too much light. Most of the frags get placed on the rocks about 4" below the surface. Considering it's only a 50 gallon (36"x18" footprint) with 2 MHs, that virtually guarantees that they are directly under the bulbs.

I don't really want to cut back to one bulb because of the center brace. It would be directly over a 2" strip of black plastic. As it is, the brace gets warm with the lights offset.

Right now, I'm looking at two options...

1. Getting a single Radium to try out and see what I think. Considering Steve offered to buy it if I don't like it, there's no risk for me :)

2. Raising my current lights and adding some shade cloth under them to lower the intensity reaching the tank. This would require me to build a new canopy. That's not a bad thing because then I could incorporate some actinics into the setup, which I would like.