PDA

View Full Version : Trying to get all my questions out of my system

duckhuntboy
01/10/2003, 02:50 AM
On Wednesday or so, I will be starting my first nano, as a 7g FOWLR, with no haste on adding the fish, and hopefully one day some corals.

What types of elements should I have test kits for? I have ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite. Do I need alkalinity tests, or what else?

For my percs in my old tank, I was feeding them live brine shrimp. I'd like 2 percs for this tank, but want something easier to feed them, and just as good for their diet. Should I feed them greens in the mix? what greens, and what else?

Also, anyone want the rest of my 100 lb bag of sand who lives in montana?;) That's all I could get.

Hmm, what else.... How many hours of daylight for my tank?

Anyone know how to rig a computer power supply to power a fan without a computer? Any other options on a fan I could use inside my hood?

semtorque
01/10/2003, 09:25 AM
I'll try to help you out a bit so here we go...

What types of elements should I have test kits for? I have ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite. Do I need alkalinity tests, or what else?
-pH, Alk,Salinity,Ca

like 2 percs for this tank, but want something easier to feed them, and just as good for their diet. Should I feed them greens in the mix? what greens, and what else?
-an assortment... mysis shrimp, brine,flake,etc. I found that a good way to get an assortment of food to your fish is to buy an assortment pack of frozen food. 1/6 of a cube (about 1/2" sq.), plus 2 flake food feeding a day should be fine.... Make sure not to over feed...especially if you are not using a filter or skimmer

How many hours of daylight for my tank?
-Not too important since you only have fish.... but if you have a timer lying around 10hrs of continuous light should be fine and will help you get some coraline alge growth

Anyone know how to rig a computer power supply to power a fan without a computer? Any other options on a fan I could use inside my hood?
-Why?? I am assuming you want a 12V or somethingV power supply right?? Just buy a cheepo D.C. converter at RadioShack orwww.hosfelt.com (http://www.hosfelt.com) (I prefer Hosfelt...much cheeper than RadioShack), cut the nipple off the end and attach the proper leads to your fan...

good luck
Mike:beachbum:

duckhuntboy
01/10/2003, 12:16 PM
man, I was thinking there had to be some way to do that as well, but i wasn't sure how it was going to be done. that makes a lot of sense, now that you mention it (the power supply thing). thanks for all the info.