PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Calcium Reactor

Rinaldi
05/02/2000, 09:36 PM
A couple Questions for those with Calcium Reactors:

1. Is all of water in the Reactor recirculation loop at a lowered PH? If so, then how does the water coming out of the output come out at the higher, proper ph? Just trying to see how these work.

2. I haven't seen the MTC Pro Cal advertised on the mail order places/sites I frequent.
Where does one get one? Just wondering as I am actually more interested in the Joshi DIY design.

3. Is there any need or any advantage for Kalk or 2-part additives if you have Calcium reactor. Would anyone "supplement" with kalk or would that just screw up the balance achieved by the reactor.

Vins Fins
05/02/2000, 09:53 PM
the water in the reactor comes out at a ph of 6.5 to 7. It is very highly concetrated with calcium and alk. the drip rate back to the sump is slow enough so that it should not effect the tank ph. actually helped to raise my tank ph to 8.3. a cacium reactor is an alk/calcium maintaining device. you must use additives (b-ionic) to obtain the proper levels first. once you're sytem i balanced then begin using the reactor.you may want to add some additves while the reactor is running for the first week. somtimes it takes
a little time for the reactor to kick in and if you have a heavy load you shuold do as i suggested for the first week, after that the reactor will work on it's own. it takes time to learn how to adj it to perfection, so be patient with it and have fun.
http://home.twcny.rr.com/vguarno/

Vinny