PDA

View Full Version : colt removal

TooFar2Sea
01/09/2003, 01:24 PM
In a variation on the "how to cut a colt" theme, here is my question...I have a huge colt that I intend to remove from my tank. The colt is attached to a piece of rock that I want to keep in the tank. I plan to cut the colt with a sharp, fillet type knife, as close to the rock as possible. I have sharp scissors, but it would take 2-3 snips and I want to make one quick cut.

Once the colt is off the rock what should I do with it?
1. try to establish the entire thing in another tank or
2. cut it up into frags

Is my method of cutting with a fillet knife a good idea? I know that any little bit of flesh left on the rock can grow back, but that is preferrable to trimming the thing every couple of weeks like I am doing now. If I choose the frag method what should I do with the remaining stalk? At the base it is about the same circumference as a 12 oz soda can.

bad habit
01/30/2003, 08:26 PM
Hi it has been my experence that small pecies atach better than large ones As far as removal I cant help you any. I have a verry large one (actualy 2) in my 150 gal it takes up app 2 feet of space i would like to remove the largest one the base is app.8 to 10 in across i am going to just cut it into small pieces and try to frag it. L et me know what you do & how it turns out:bum: :bum: :bum:

ThingsReef
02/02/2003, 07:19 PM
I use scissors...snip it and place it under a piece of rock or dead decorative coral. Some of it may recede but it should attach and grow onto a new base piece. Your old one will probably grow back but take a very long time to annoy you at which time...out with the sharp objects again. I'm sure you can trade the new one when it attaches.

TooFar2Sea
02/02/2003, 09:31 PM
scissors? only if you have a big pair like they use to cut ribbons at grand openings. This was a job for a boning knife. I irritated the polyps til they contracted, grabbed the coral with one hand and sliced it off the rock with the other. I was able to get it off in two slices. There was no "bleeding" of any type. I attribute this to using a very sharp, brand new knife.

Fishguru
02/05/2003, 12:30 AM
Use a razor Blade, makes incision type cuts without the risk of tearing it. Also prefered method is to remove the leather from the tank prior to cutting. Large leathers when cut will release a enzyme, and in any quantity can harm other corals. Guru