PDA

View Full Version : Very Confused

Boonie
01/26/2001, 06:36 AM
Dear Sir or Madam,

I was wondering if anyone might be able to help me with a very perplexing problem I am having with my Hippo Tang.

I purchased him about a month ago for my 50 gallon tank. I currently have 2 false
clown fish, the Tang and a boxfish, all very small. The tang was fine up until about
three weeks ago. I awoke one morning to find him pure white laying on his side
gasping. I assumed something was wrong and tried to make him swim. After about
20 minuets he finally started and progressively got better as the day went on. That
night I left one of the tank lights on and checked on him every few hours but he was
fine. The next night I turned off the lights and awoke to the same problem the next
morning. Later that day he developed "White Spot" which I treated with Malichite
Green. He seemed to be getting better as long as I left a "Night Light", consisting of
a small halogen desklamp at dimmed levels, on for him. The day before yesterday I
found him with swollen eyes and it seemed that he can not see very well at all. I have
stopped the Malichite Green and started treating with Malefix for Popeye or a
bacterial infection. I guess I am just looking for some encouragement that I am doing
the right thing. I spoke with my local fish store, who belive it or not, told me to put
him in a bowl without water, cover it with a lid and wait 5 minuets, then throw him
away. Also do you think he will allways need this night light or is this just part of the
infection. My water clarity is great, and all my levels are at zero. I am really confused
and really do not know what to do. Can you help me?

Thanking you in advance for any assistance you can provide,

Cheers,
Dean
band.aid@home.com

minnreefer
01/26/2001, 10:11 AM
I am by no means a fish Dr. I would suggest posting this question in the DR. Ron area on this board. I would also suggest setting up a hospital tank or quariten tank for the hippo so that he won't get the other fish sick.
Just my 2cents worth
Jonathan

billsreef
01/26/2001, 07:37 PM
Hi Dean,

Several possibilities here. First off it is possible that what you are seeing first thing in the morning is merely the fish in it's night time coloration, they do fade considerable and lay very still, typically in a crevice somewhere till they decide it is safe to come out for the days activities. The gasping could just be a result of stress from the lights just "popping" on. However if the gasping continues throughout the day I would than consider a parasitic infection to be the likely culpit. As far as white spot (ick) is concerned, if the spots stay on the fish all day in the same locations than you need to treat, if they dissapear after a few hours than it is nothing to worry about. Pop eye is generally caused by bacterial infections and is usually best treated with antibiotics.

Assuming that your fish does indeed have ick and popeye I would reccomend placing it in a seperate Q tank and treating the ick with either hyposalinity or copper in conjunction with a good antibiotic such as nitrofuran or maracynII. The Malachite green tends to be ineffective against ick so is not likely to help.

FMarini
01/26/2001, 10:42 PM
Hi:
seems I got to this post late...I will reemphasize what Bill described. I feel that what your observing is the "sleeping colors" of a normal animal. Most marine critters change to a lighter color at night, as part of a camoflage strategy. I have seen bright blue fish turn pure white at night, and my banggai cardinals become silver and clear at night when they sleep.
Again I believe Bill hit this right on the head, the instant on of your lighting is starling your fish, hence the grasping...
What is the daily activity level of this fish...Normal and eating???
About thewhite spots...same deal if after the fish wakes up and is cruising around the tank in full color, are the white spots still present??? Again i feel like you might be describing sand particles, or detritus the fish has stuck in its mucus coating when it sleeps.
Now if you do get ich, and or popeye following the treatment protocol described by Bill.
Let us know
frank