PDA

View Full Version : Do you use or advise using activated carbon in a reef?

DD
01/25/2001, 09:22 PM
?

rshimek
01/25/2001, 10:27 PM
Hi DD,

I use it periodically to remove the "yellow" color from the water in all of my systems. I think it is probably beneficial to reduce the organic chemical load now and then.

When I use it, it in a canister filter that leave attached to the tank for a couple of days.

I do this when the whim strikes.... :D

DD
01/25/2001, 11:08 PM
Is it possible that its use will irritate some corals.I used it for 2 days this week to help get a cyano patch under control.After the first day one of my leathers shrunk down and is not opening very much.

Staceon
01/26/2001, 09:29 AM
DD,

Yes, that wouldn't be the first time I have heard of a leather react negatively towards carbon. OR it could just be a coincidence; leathers are notorious for doing what you describe on a somewhat regular basis.

hughem
01/26/2001, 01:57 PM
It seems that no matter how much you rinse the carbon, it still puts out some black water at first. I like to fill my Fluval with tank water, put more in a 5-gallon bucket and run it for a while, disconnected from my tank.

Then when it settles down and runs clean, I move the tubes to the sump. Perhaps this would reduce the stress possibly caused by running carbon/canister?

I can't imagine that stress is caused by the sudden lack of what the carbon is taking out of the water...