PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE ADVISE....nanos scare me

IndyMathWizard
01/08/2003, 02:25 AM
Well, i have a 120 FOWLR and I had a 10 gallon tank just sitting around. So I cleaned it out, and added 1.5 inch of sand and 12 pounds of LR from my big tank. Also, the water was 50% from the big tank and 50% new salt water. Here's the questions:
I also had a spare 300W heater laying around. I am currently using this. I know it's way way way higher than what is needed, but can it still work like this?
I have an AC301 power head w/ a quick filter on it. Is this along with the LR enough to filter the tank for two small fish? The powerhead runs about 150 gal per hour, so 15 times per hour.
I didn't want to do a DSB because first of all, it would take up almost half of the tank just for sand, and secondly I didn't think the tank floor was big enough for it to operate properly. Any thoughts?
Ideas for fish? Anyone? Could I put more than 2 small docile fish in there?
Are there any keys to keeping water quality stability in such a small environment? Nanos scare me....

Anyone who replies with some advice or thoughts on this post is offered in advance: I will do your or your children's homework for you/them!!! Haha, seriously. Thanks!!
Matt

IndyMathWizard
01/08/2003, 02:26 AM
Also, I am not using a skimmer becasue of space. It is only a 10 gallon tank. Is this bad?

firstkill
01/08/2003, 03:19 AM
will a 300 watt heater even fit in a 10gallon?? hehe I would just go get a 150 or lower... I think even a 50 gallon is enough.

If all you want is fish.. then id stick to no more than 3 that dont need a lot of swimming room...

A lot of people will say thats pushing it....but if i can keep water quality good and stuff then 3 is fine...

~fk

IndyMathWizard
01/08/2003, 01:39 PM
The 300W heater fits if you lay it sideways in the back. My biggest concern: Is LR and the AC quickfilter enough to filter?

lizbeth
01/08/2003, 02:15 PM
You really don't need any filter if you have enough live rock. Add a few more pounds. You do need water circulation, you could rig a spray bar to fit the powerhead. You don't need a skimmer. You will have to do regular water change...once a week.

I'd ditch the big heater and get a smaller one. If the big one gets stuck on you'll have cooked fish in no time at all.

As far as fish....what do you like? Two small fish should do well in a 10 if you pick ones that suit that size tank. A couple of percula clowns come to mind or if you like action and color a couple of the less agressive damsels would be fun.

What kind of coral are you interested in having? What kind of lighting do you have/plan? Where do I send the homework?:D