PDA

View Full Version : January 2003-Reef Tank of the Month

ReefDiver
01/07/2003, 11:01 AM
Hi Susan!

Very nice tank set up indeed! I have a similar set up with a 155 Bow Front and a sump from Life Reef which I also love. Have been through similar experiences and at this point, after 3 years, my tank is stable and looks great. Anyway, I was wondering if you could give me more info on how you set up your Phytoplanton cultures. Equipment, suppliers, and any other useful info that you think would be helpful. I can perhaps run 6 bottles in my tank room.

Keep up the good work and you should be very proud of your tank, it looks great!!!!

cvye
01/08/2003, 02:08 PM
Beautiful reef!

Please tell us more on how you were able to resolve any of the problems you mentioned...how's the flatworm problem?

FWIW, I think a Problems/Solutions section in the TOTM description would be very helpful. Obviously, these people know how to do it!

Reef Man
01/08/2003, 05:45 PM
Very gorgeous tank !!!

I followed your tank very closed and all your comments on reefcentral.

I have a request for you:
Do you have a picture of the first days of your tank ? I want to take a look very close to your aquascaping because I want to mount my reef structure like yours.

Thanks !! and Keep the good work !!!

:eek1:

peerboerner
01/14/2003, 10:01 AM
I agree, your tank is really cool. Love it! I too am in the process of configuring my 120 and have purchased a very similar sump/skimmer configuration from LifeReef. Anyway, I was wondering how much live rock you've used in terms of weight. I'm trying to create a similar, less dense landscape (reefscape?) for my tank.

Also, I was wondering how much, if any, live sand you added to your aragonite mix.

Again, thanks for sharing your tank with us!

Flame*Angel
01/14/2003, 12:07 PM
Sorry guys, I hadn't checked this forum and didn't realize there were comments and questions here.

Reefdiver - I made a printer friendly, step by step, phtyoplankton page here http://www.sjwilson.net/reef/phytosteps.html There are links to suppliers too. Please email me if you have specific questions. I'm no expert but I've walked quite a few people through the process now. It's easy once you get it up and running.

cvye - I have gotten my tank through all the plagues except the flatworms. Here's my quick problem solution list:
cyano on the sand = conchs
hair algae = long spined diadema urchin
bryopsis = lettuce seaslugs
I have found that flatworms propagate much slower at lower tank temperatures. Also, I had to cut off my live cultured plankton temporarily because it feeds the flatworms. I've recently purchased two fish that are eating flatworms, a leopard wrasse and a canary wrasse. I'm back to siphoning the flatworms once a week. My plan is to give the tank until the spring to get rid of the flatworms this way. At that point I won't be able to keep the tank temperature down and will probably try Salifert Flatworm Exit.

Reef Man - If you go to my site and click on the link under "Archived Tank Photos" you'll get a screen with links to the photo sets from earlier months. There is one there that covers the first 3 months that has a reasonable pic of just the rock.

peerboerner - You're going to love the LifeReef equipment! I bought 150 lbs of rock altogether. 100lbs of Fiji and 50lbs of Manano. If I had my time back I would have bought all Manano, it's much better. I put a bit of it in my refugium but not a lot. Not long after I got my tank running a local man was taking down his system and I bought the contents of one of his refugiums. I added half the live sand to the tank and the other half to my own refugium. This gave me a lot of life to get started with - bristle worms, mysis shrimp, amphipods, spaghetti worms, etc. I haven't added any new life to my sandbed since then but I think the refugium must be keeping it stocked pretty well because the fish I have would have decimated it otherwise. No signs of hardening yet anyway.

cvye
01/15/2003, 10:14 AM
If he's using your animation, then you've probably discussed flatworms with Anthony Calfo; but his recommendation in his book is skimming. Perhaps you could borrow an extra skimmer until they are gone. I'm pretty sure you couldn't stop feeding for any significant length of time, given your livestocks needs.
Good luck!
I'd also combatted Bryopsis with Tridachia...they were breeding so much I was selling them to the LFS! But they sure don't appreciate the kind of current you need for SPS. I also used pincushion urchins, but they can't stay too long or there's no more coralline!
I also had some hair algae, and the two long-spined urchins I had were semi-effective. The more effective method was to starve it out with a new DSB...it disappeared on its own. If there was grazing pressure, then it must have been from micro-grazers. But starvation seems to work the best for any of these plagues...I hope you can prove me wrong with the flatworms!:cool:

Flame*Angel
01/15/2003, 06:23 PM
cvye - I didn't even think about mentioning the flatworms to Anthony! I do have his book and I did read about the skimming. My LifeReef skimmer is pretty heavy-duty but a second couldn't hurt. Might be worth a try before I call the exorcist anyway :)

prezioso73
01/16/2003, 01:28 PM
I really like your tank! I thought that flame angles would eat corals? Does yours? Or did you get ones that it would not eat...or am I wrong?

Flame*Angel
01/16/2003, 08:03 PM
prezioso73 - With Flame Angels, as well as most of the dwarf angels, it's hit or miss. Some do nip at corals and/or clams and some don't. I haven't had any problems with mine but I think it helps that I got him very young and feed my tank 3 times a day. Same with my copperband butterfly, they have sometimes been known to bother/nip/eat corals but so far mine hasn't. Perhaps I've just been lucky though. I've also heard of people who have kept these fish for a long time with no problem and then one day they just start in on the corals.

ddenham
01/19/2003, 01:31 PM
Your tank and your web site are both fantastic. You've obviously put a lot of thought and care into both. a quick question, though, does your firefish attempt escape? do you have a cover over your tank? I have a firefish in quarantine, and have a little time to construct a cover before putting it in the main tank, but I prefer an open top, of course.

Dr. Fumanchu
01/22/2003, 02:32 PM
WOW! Very Impressive setup! I'm fairly new to the hobby (about 1 yr), and everytime I goto the LFS I drool over that 120, just thinking of the possibilities. Your tank is a perfect example :D. Your entire setup is for that matter! Excuse me while I pick my jaw up from the floor.

FuManchu

Squidman
02/04/2003, 12:33 PM
Susan, how do you keep the back of your tank so clean? The whole setup looks wonderful. ;)

Flame*Angel
02/04/2003, 09:13 PM
ddenham - no signs of the firefish trying to escape fortunately. He used to live in a small 20g with a jawfish until the jawfish jumped and I decided to take down the little tank and just keep the reef. I was very worried putting the firefish in the big tank with the big fish but he does much better there than he did in the small tank and none of the other fish ever bother him. He's very brave for a little guy.

Dr. Fumanchu - Thanks :)

Squidman - Just before I set up my tank people were posting pictures of these incredible Japanese tanks. They all had clean glass and I really liked the look. I decided I'd give it a try. It kind of became part of the routine and isn't really much work. I made a scraper out of a 2' long wooden dowel with a slanted groove that I stick a razor blade in. Works like a charm.