PDA

View Full Version : Asking approval of first 7g

duckhuntboy
01/07/2003, 02:54 AM
Allright, I was just wondering what your feedback is on my tank coming up, because I want everything to be done the way it should.

I bought a 7g glass minibow...
3 12 watt PC's, 10,000, 50/50, and act.
90 grit sandblasting silica
Not sure how much live rock yet. Going to buy at LFS, and probably get less than I need to start, and arrange accordingly...
50w heater from I forget what company, nice one.

No skimmer. I had a prizm. I sold it because I had to adjust it 10 times a day to get it to skim, and it helped fund the tank.

Adjustable powerhead from an old skimmer, should do the trick....
-----------------------------
Are my lights allright, is my tank going to overheat, do I need a fan, will my filtration be adequate, etc...?

I'm planning a FOWLR, but no fish for quite a while, I'm in no hurry. Probably just want to end up with percs. Also, small portion of live sand will be added right when tank is set up.

Someday I'd maybe like some softies and such, but not til after I graduate, which is a few years.....

Please give me some feedback!

duckhuntboy
01/07/2003, 02:56 AM
Also, my sandbed will be 2-2.5 inches.... Should I adjust that for better bio filter in any way?

duckhuntboy
01/08/2003, 01:41 AM
No one knows if this is a good setup?

firstkill
01/08/2003, 03:31 AM
I think thats a good set up..but it will get VERY hot without vents... and specially if hte hood covers the tank completely...

with fowlr..there is no need for so much light anyways.. perhaps 2 of the 13 watts will be good.. u can add the other later

~fk

duckhuntboy
01/08/2003, 07:03 PM
Vents will definately be drilled, and I am putting a fan in the cover. The reason for so many lights is to someday maybe start trying corals. One more question:

I want to paint the back black or something dark blue, because I always get water bubbles trapped between those backgrounds, and I don't want the wall showing. Anyone know what kind of paint I could use on the glass?

aquamanco
01/10/2003, 11:19 PM
Ford blue works if you like blue not to dark. Black just black.
3 light coats then 5~8 thick coats. I took about 2 days and have
about 16 coats on my 7AGA. 3 light,8 thick & 5 light. I even use my
magnet to clean the back. So far so good 8 months.

Frank

duckhuntboy
01/12/2003, 01:48 AM
I ended up getting a latex paint. Anyone know a better paint to stick to glass? The paint people didn't know either.