PDA

View Full Version : Incentives for LI Reefers Only

montepora
01/06/2003, 09:32 PM
Guys:

Me and other guys ordered some farm raised clams from www.PalmettoReefs.com. Due to the amount we ordered and I told him that we have a club meeting this Saturday, he offered the club members a 10% discount on all clams ordered by LI Reefers and if you guys do the samthing as I did- pool an order of five or more clams, you can get 20% discount.

I have a pleasant experience with him so far and I will post an update upon receiving the clams. You do have to mention that you are Andrew's friend... LOL!! No, that you are from the LI reefer's Association.

I understand that many of you feel that since Les is so generous to loan us the space for meeting, we should take care of him. I totally agree with you and I have made some small contribution to Les as well. I figure this is just another incentives for us and I just want to share this with you, OK???

zebrasoma17
01/06/2003, 10:50 PM
Thanks Andrew. I've been checking out Darren's site for a while now and it looks interesting. See you Saturday.

Al

montepora
01/12/2003, 12:22 PM
Guys:

I would like to inform you that the group order I did with my buddies have two fatalities. They are both the small max-2".Before the club meeting yesterday I find my clam funny, after the meeting I came to find my clam dead. I pull it out of the tank and kept it in the freezer.

It appears to suffered from gaping. The other bigger clam I got is fine. I have email Darren from www.palemettoreefs.com and will also post you guys on the outcome.

I remembered during our discussion yesterday that many of us have ordered this small maximas from various sources and they all seemed to be doing OK for sometimes then died.

I think in my case although they are captive rasied, but they are still fragil in this size and I think I would suggest others not to buy any clams that are smaller than 2", wild caught or farm raised.

Again, will let you know the outcome.

montepora
01/12/2003, 10:03 PM
Guys:

As yuo can see from the prior post, I lost the clam I recently ordered and so is my friend's. I emailed Darren from the www.Palmettoreefs.com and this is his feedback:

[Quote]

Subj: RE: FYI
Date: 1/12/03 8:45:24 PM Eastern Standard Time
To: Montepora@aol.com
Sent from the Internet (Details)

Ugh. I am very sorry to hear of the loss. I had kept them for over a month and they were very healthy upon leaving, although you never know when shipping live animals. These are the first clams that have died out of all I have sold, at least that I know of.

Preserve all that you can of the dead clams if you would. If you can, put the dead clams in a small thermos or something with some rubbing alcohol and a small amount of water. I probably will not be able to tell much from what is left, but you never know. Just make sure it is packed so it won't reek! :) Please send them to me priority mail (it is not expensive, use the priority mail box from USPS) to:

Palmetto Reefs
attn: Darren Walker
109 Tallwood St.
Elgin, SC 29045

I will issue a credit for the price of the clams that may be used for replacement clams. (or corals or whatever other livestock)

Are there any clams living in the tanks that they died in? How long have these tanks been established? Have any copper-based medicines been used in these? How were they acclimated to the new system? What kind of lighting is on the tanks?

I will honor the credits in any case, I am just trying to help make sure there is nothing else we need to look into before getting more in there.

Thank You for telling the fellow LI reefers about us! It is true that clams over 2" are able to depend more on their symbiotic algae, which they accumulate as they grow. They depend less on filter-feeding as they get larger and are able to create more food from the light. However, I have not had any problems whatsoever keeping 1.5"-2.5" clams either. I feed DT's to the tank once or twice a week for all clams, regardless of size. Most of our clams are 3" or over, so there will be plenty to choose from in that size-range.

I hate to lose any animals, especially clams- but we will get you both taken care of.

There are some new clams up on the site now also.

Thanks again for your business, and please let me know if you have any questions about the instructions on the dead clams!

Darren Walker
www.PalmettoReefs.com

[Quote]

AS we discussed in the meeting, I would STRONGLY suggest anyone of you oredering clams from anyone not to order anything that is 2" or less as clams this size is very fragil and would die easily. I am glad Darren is going to honor me with my lost and I think this is a good vedor to deal with. Email me if you have any other questions. Take care.

montepora
01/13/2003, 04:39 PM
My fellow addicts:

I would like to update you on the situation.

Darren took full responsibility and promptly gave me credit back for the lost clams. I appreciate his customer service and have taking the credit offerd by him and reused it for another purchase.

He did ask for the dead clams back which I think is very reasonable as he is a newly established business and runs a small operation. However, my friend out of fustration throw out his dead clam so I can only return one to him. Darren told me not to worry about it and issued the credit for both of them anyway.

All I can say is that this is a good vendor and I obviousely had a plesant experience with him. I spoke to him about the problems with small clams and he agrees that small clams could be PITA but he had no problems with them. I did tell him that during our group discussion, we decided that small clams is a no no for us and that if we do want to make any purchase from him, we will buy bigger clams.

Another note is that he still gave me 10% off for the total purchase and then deduct the credit. :eek1:

He has some nice size Maxima and Crocea in now and I would suggest you all to take a look at them. The only way for us to con't to get quality live stock is if we con't to support vendor that treat their animal right and of course, their customer. HTH!!!

montepora
01/14/2003, 09:31 PM
Guys:

Darren sent me the clams without even getting the dead one back. He gave me the credit for the lost and I am now a happy owner of two BEAUTIFUL clams.

When he gets more, I am going to order another one as now my tank has five clams. Chinese believe in six, eight and ten that kind of stuff, LOL!!!

Good vendor, good service, take the incentive if I were you, OK??

pyro383
01/15/2003, 04:38 PM
Let me know, I think I want in. Will 192w pc and 175w mh 10k in a 45g tall be ok?

montepora
01/15/2003, 07:10 PM
Pyro:

I think it is fine but why don't you email Darren for more input???

Andrew