PDA

View Full Version : Setting up a new nano

Arwin7
01/06/2003, 01:47 PM
Hi!

At home I have a 55g reef tank. Previously, I had a small 5g Eclipse tank in my office at work with a freshwater Beta in it. The Beta died a while back and I was thinking about setting up the (now empty) tank as a nano. I only want to keep soft corals such as mushrooms and polyps and a small fish (maybe a perc clown). I have the heater, air pump, and filter but I am unsure about what other equipment I will need. The hood of the Eclipse tank contains the light and hides the filter. I would like to keep it this way if at all possible since the tank is for my office.

Could someone advise me on what other equipment I will need to have a successful 5g nano? Will I have to replace the light in the Eclipse hood? I probably have most of the necessary equipment at home...I am just not sure about what to bring in.

Thanks!!!

- A7 ;)

Im Lon 2
01/08/2003, 10:09 PM
As far as Filtration you do not need any more than you have take the pads out of the eclipse and maybe add a small power head by Maxi-Jet called the Mini-Jet Powerhead 404 it moves 13-108 GPH this should be plenty for a tank that small. Get some sand and Live rock from your existing 55gal. When doing a water change take the water from you 55gal and put it in your new 5gal Nano. As far as lighting look around here on the nano site and there are a few ways to modify the existing hood you have so you can continue using the hood you have now. You could also buy a mini power compact that screws right into your hood now. From All Glass Aquariums http://www.all-glass.com/ I’m not sure if you have one sockets or two in your hood now. It would probably be better if you had two. But if not like I said there are a few threads on here. On how to change the eclipse hood you have now to hold 13w power compacts. Hope this Helps and Good Luck. Keep us posted on how the tank is doing.