PDA

View Full Version : Dr.Ron how exactly do corals do it?

mantisss
01/25/2001, 02:05 AM
i understand ahermatypic corals that have a mouth to feed but for instance my colt is hermatypic but has polyps why? i never see them grab or move for food ,or is it that they have such small mouth openings for plankton i cant see them eating.Also i believe you said anemones dont eat phytoplankton,thanks

rshimek
01/25/2001, 06:27 AM
Hi Mantiss,

Originally posted by mantisss
i understand ahermatypic corals that have a mouth to feed but for instance my colt is hermatypic but has polyps why?

All corals have polyps. Some may have only one, some may have many thousands.

i never see them grab or move for food ,or is it that they have such small mouth openings for plankton i cant see them eating.

For the small mouthed corals, one can sometimes see them feed if you watch them with a hand lens or magnifying glass.

Most of the small mouthed polyps feed on very fine particles and it is hard to see them feed. Larger polyps need to be fed, using appropriate foods.

Hermatypes get much of their energy from their zooxanthellae, but about 30% to 40% of their nutritional needs must be met by other means, either direct absorption of dissolved nutrient, or by feeding. The feeding provides nitrogen sources which are used to make proteins,

Also i believe you said anemones dont eat phytoplankton

No anemone will eat phytoplankton.