PDA

View Full Version : Dr.Ron when you say clams will not live on zoo?

mantisss
01/25/2001, 01:25 AM
hello sir,
when you say clams will not live on zanthellae alone other then phytoplankton could you tell me what else to use.I've been using a invert liquid by Kent marine and i've been getting a growth of slimy stringy brown algae on the l/r wich i believe to be dinoflagettes,is it possible to have a red,brown tide in an aquarium.thanks

rshimek
01/25/2001, 06:18 AM
Hi Mantiss

Originally posted by mantisss
when you say clams will not live on zanthellae alone other then phytoplankton could you tell me what else to use.

First, the references about clam nutrition follow, should you care to examine them. The information about clam nutrition is not mine, rather it comes from researchers in the field.

Phytoplankton is really the only source. Live phytoplankton is best. Cryogenically preserved phytoplankton is next best. Liquid invert "foods" are unlikely to feed any clam directly they simply will not eat the stuff. Such foods may stimulate the growth of bacteria which the clams will eat. Personally, I wouldn't waste my time or money on any of the liquid "foods."

Tridacna feeding references.

Hawkins, A. J. S. and D. W. Klumpp. 1995. Nutrition of the giant clam Tridacna gigas (L.). II. Relative contributions of filter-feeding and the ammonium-nitrogen acquired and recycled by symbiotic alga towards total nitrogen requirements for tissue growth and metabolism. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology. 190:263-290.

Griffiths, C. L. and D. W. Klumpp. 1996. Relationships between size, mantle area and zooxanthellae numbers in five species of giant clam (Tridacnidae0. Marine Ecology Progress Series. 137:139-147.

Polunin, N. V. C. and D. W. Klumpp. 1992. Algal food supply and grazer demand in a very productive coral-reef zone. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology. 164:1-15.

Klumpp, D. W. and C. L. Griffiths. 1994. Contributions of phototrophic and heterotrophic nutrition to the metabolic and growth requirements of four species of giant clan (Tridacnidae). Marine Ecology Progress Series. 115:103-115.

Klumpp, D. W. and J. S. Lucas. 1994. Nutritional ecology of the giant clams Tridacna tevoroa and T. derasa from Tonga: influence of light on filter-feeding and photosynthesis. Marine Ecology Progress Series. 107:147-156.

Wilkinson, C. R., A. C. Cheshire, D. W. Klumpp and A. D. McKinnon. 1988. Nutritional spectrum of animals with photosynthetic symbionts - corals and sponges. In: Choat, J. H., D. Barnes, M. A. Borowitzka and J. C. Coll. Eds. Proceedings of the Sixth International Coral Reef Symposium. Townsville, Australia. 8th-12 August 1988. Volume 3: Contributed Papers (Mini Symposium 11/16 to 22). 6th International Coral Reef Symposium Executive Committee. Townsville, Australia. pp. 27-30.

I've been using a invert liquid by Kent marine and i've been getting a growth of slimy stringy brown algae on the l/r wich i believe to be dinoflagettes,is it possible to have a red,brown tide in an aquarium.thanks

Sure. :D

Happens all the time, with blooms of what aquarists most precisely refer to as blooms of "snot" algae. This stuff is dinoflagellate, and is effectively a red tide in an aquarium.

mantisss
01/25/2001, 11:38 AM
thanks Ron,