PDA

View Full Version : Question about a substrate for a DSB

Gator
01/25/2001, 01:25 AM
Dr. Ron,

I am wanting to remove and replace the CC in my 16-gallon tank (10 x 20 x 20) with about a 4-5" DSB. I know that South Down sand has the correct grain size from the bag, but I haven't had any luck finding it down here in Louisiana.

I would like to use Carib Sea mix #00931 Grand Bahama, which they list as grain size .2-1.2 with larger pieces mixed in to look like a surf rubble zone.

I like the look of it, but if it wouldn't work for a DSB, I would like your recommendation for a product that would. If possible from Carib Sea, because my LFS can give me a better price on their products than if I get it mail order.

Here is a link describing the bahama mix with a picture if you need it.

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PA&Product_Code=C-ARAG-BAH&Category_Code=Drysand

Thanks in advance

Hank

rshimek
01/25/2001, 06:06 AM
Hi Hank,

It will work, but it is on the coarse side. If you can afford the shipping ESV (www.esvco.com) has a great sand product, their oolitic sand. It is what I use (no southdown sand here, either). If you can't afford a lot of the oolitic product, try getting some to mix with the Caribsea product to add some finer particles.

Gator
01/25/2001, 09:52 PM
Thanks Dr. Ron.

I'll look into the ESV, But in case it isn't feasable, would the Carib Sea oolitic be fine enough?

Thanks again

Hank