PDA

View Full Version : How do you keep algae out of nano's

Im Lon 2
01/05/2003, 09:52 PM
I have a bad hair algae problem and starting to get a few bubble algae.

My PH is 8.4
My Ammonia is 0
Nitrate - 0
Nitrite - 0
Phosephate - a little over 0 but not much.

I do have a phosephate remover pouch in the tank now.
I do use RO/DI water.
I do NOT have a sump or Refugium.
I have two hang on filters one on each side with no pads on the in side.

I have looked at skimmers would this help?

What else can I do???:confused: I feel like I have tried everything:(

gregmoeck
01/05/2003, 10:44 PM
A couple questions to toss out for discussion...

Do you have new or old bulbs?

Do you feed, if so what and how often.

How often do you do a one gallon or more water change?

last question..

Are you sure the RO water is clean, perhaps the filter needs cleaned/changed.

Im Lon 2
01/05/2003, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by gregmoeck
A couple questions to toss out for discussion...

Do you have new or old bulbs?
they are around 5 months old have been going through this algae for last 3 months

Do you feed, if so what and how often.
a marine flake food Nutrafin Max once a day my 1 clown probably wishes it was more he/she eats it with in 30 sec.

How often do you do a one gallon or more water change?
try to do a 1 gal change once a week comes out more like every 2 weeks

last question..

Are you sure the RO water is clean, perhaps the filter needs cleaned/changed.

I have even been to 4 different stores to buy RO/DI water

Thanks for the reply

Agu
01/05/2003, 11:18 PM
How long has this tank been setup?

Agu

Im Lon 2
01/05/2003, 11:22 PM
posted by AGUHow long has this tank been setup?

11 months

gregmoeck
01/05/2003, 11:22 PM
forgot to ask about your clean up crew.

Im Lon 2
01/05/2003, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by gregmoeck
forgot to ask about your clean up crew.

I have 4 blue legs, 2 scarlet Hermits, 3 turbo 3 Astraea snails

Im Lon 2
01/05/2003, 11:30 PM
How often should I replace the bulbs??

gregmoeck
01/06/2003, 12:28 AM
Sounds like you have a great clean up crew and a well established reef. Reefs do go through algae blooms early on but you should be well past that stage. Your lights should be changed yearly or every 12-14 months in my opinion. RO water used sounds like it is coming from a good source. Be careful of health food store RO water. There have been reports that grocery stores do not change their filters often. Stick with your reef store if you trust them. There have also been reports about LFS putting stuff in RO water so people buy more dry goods from them... I think that is BS but who knows.

I can only imagine perhaps you did something big right before the algae started but that wouldn't explain why it is still around. You are not using a sponge, you change your carbon and I hope you are using a high grade carbon like Kent Marine. Cheap carbon can contain phospates. also, make sure no cleaning material gets around the tank.

Is the algae sufficating everything including the rock?

Your signature says 55 gallon coming soon. You may want to solve this mystery before starting that big money pit even if it takes tossing your live rock, adding new fresh rock, and a couple pounds of live sand from a good source.

Sounds like you are doing everything correct, let's see what the others have to say about this situation...

Im Lon 2
01/06/2003, 06:33 PM
posted by gregmoeck
Your signature says 55 gallon coming soon. You may want to solve this mystery before starting that big money pit even if it takes tossing your live rock, adding new fresh rock, and a couple pounds of live sand from a good source.

I do not plan on taking anything from my 10gal except for a few of the corals I have in there now Torch and Xenia.

The good thing is that the rest of the tank looks great except for the algae. I would like to take the rock out and use a tooth brush on it but the rocks that are bad are the ones with Polyps on them or my xenia.

tstone
01/07/2003, 11:26 AM
You might try distiled water for a while. Also you might consider getting an Emerald crab. They will eat the hair and bubble algea

schemo
01/07/2003, 11:55 AM
the best way i handle it is by manually removing it via turkey baster or siphon.

schemo

15 year old reefer
01/07/2003, 12:46 PM
What kind of salt mix are you using?

Im Lon 2
01/07/2003, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by tstone
You might try distiled water for a while. Also you might consider getting an Emerald crab. They will eat the hair and bubble algea

I had one once and you are right he ate every bubble algea I had in the tank, Did do nothing on the hair algae though. I had to get rid of him because he was so big he would crawl between rocks and push them apart, knocking over the corals. I could get a smaller one and try that.

Originally posted by schemo
the best way i handle it is by manually removing it via turkey baster or siphon.

schemo

I have tried the siphon it works okay on some of it but most of it is hanging on to the rock pretty tight. the Turkey baster I will have to try that.

I did just put a power head in the tank last night and faced it right towards the rock. Hoping this will keep it from growing on there. All I had for circulation in the past was 2 hang on filters so maybe this will work better.

Im Lon 2
01/07/2003, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by 15 year old reefer
What kind of salt mix are you using?

Instant Ocean

15 year old reefer
01/07/2003, 01:41 PM
Thats what im using with RO water and I have little patches of hair algae too. Do you guys know what the best salt mix is?

tstone
01/07/2003, 03:40 PM
I think a lot of people use Instant Ocean. I don't really think that is it.
My emerald crab is starting to knock over stuff now. He was pretty small when I got him and has since grown. I guess I will have to catch him and trade for a smaller one

firstkill
01/07/2003, 04:05 PM
Sometimes you just get bad LR or perhaps one bad LR that somehow is prone to hair algea.

If everything else checks out then that is my bet.

~fk

Im Lon 2
01/07/2003, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by firstkill
Sometimes you just get bad LR or perhaps one bad LR that somehow is prone to hair algea.

If everything else checks out then that is my bet.

~fk

I don't think that is it either because every piece I got Looked great when I got it. As a matter of fact I had traded one of my rocks in a few months ago and it did have hair algae on. After a week I went back to that LFS and the same rock was hair less.

I did just add a Power head to the tank and have it facing one of the rocks that has hair algae on it so maybe this will help. Before the only thing I had for circulation was the 2 hang on filters and from what I've read this does circulate the tank enouph so I could have dead spots on the rock and that is were the hair algae is growing.

:rolleyes:

Agu
01/07/2003, 05:10 PM
Here's a shot in the dark(light), what brand and color temp bulbs are you using ?

Have you tested the ro/di water for total dissolved solids (TDS) ? If not take a sample to your local Culligan or equivalent. The service guys usually have TDS meters.

Agu

Im Lon 2
01/07/2003, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by Agu
Here's a shot in the dark(light), what brand and color temp bulbs are you using ?

I do have NO and I will check the brand when I get home and color temp.

Originally posted by Agu
Have you tested the ro/di water for total dissolved solids (TDS) ? If not take a sample to your local Culligan or equivalent. The service guys usually have TDS meters.

Agu

okay, Dumb question coming................. Who/what is a Culligan or equivalent????? Sorry I have never heard of this before.

firstkill
01/08/2003, 03:24 AM
Culligan is a water company (drinking water in those 5 gal jugs)

The rock you traded..did it go into a reef tank? or just a pile of rocks again?

Also low temps control algea a little

~fk

Agu
01/08/2003, 01:31 PM
"Culligan" is a national (I thought) co that sells water softners and purification systems. Any business that sells those products should have a TDS meter handy to check your RO/DI water, sorry.

I think the bulbs are suspect. A lot of the no bulbs sold as aquarium (usually "Plant and Aquarium") bulbs have a low color temp. That lower color temp stimulates photosynthesis and the growth of plants, possibly in your case algae. Minimum color temp for marine is 5000k, 6500 k or above would be even better. If you can't determine the color temp assume it's too low.

Agu

Im Lon 2
01/08/2003, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by Agu
I think the bulbs are suspect. A lot of the no bulbs sold as aquarium (usually "Plant and Aquarium") bulbs have a low color temp. That lower color temp stimulates photosynthesis and the growth of plants, possibly in your case algae. Minimum color temp for marine is 5000k, 6500 k or above would be even better. If you can't determine the color temp assume it's too low.

Agu

I think you may be right..... I have one bulb that I have no idea what the color temp is or brand for that matter. I had a problem with one of the bulbs one time and I beleave I have a fresh water bulb on my salt water tank and a salt water bulb on my fresh tank. I know what bulb it is and I will replace it over the weekend. Another question I have found 18" 20,000k bulbs at my LFS $30.:eek2: would the bulb be worth it:confused:

Last night I went nuts the algae had really gotten to me. I took a tooth brush (NEW) and brushed every rock I could get my hands on. Polyps or No polyps. Hell I even found 2Green star polyps I didn't even know I had.:D

My button polyps have changed color in the past 3 weeks my Brown buttons have change to a white-ish color on the button and my Green ones changed to a Brown-ish color. Could this be the hair algae choking the buttons????:confused:

Once again thanks for all of your help!!:cool:

Agu
01/08/2003, 06:13 PM
You don't need a $30 20,000K bulb. Check Dr Foster And Smith, (sponsor here) they have several NO bulbs under $15. You may want to consider two 6500k and one actinic, esp if you have separate ballasts, there's nothing like the look of corals under actinic :D .

Good luck and keep us posted,

Agu

BTW, unless you know the color temps I'd replace all three bulbs, use them on your freshwater tank.

Im Lon 2
01/08/2003, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by Agu
You don't need a $30 20,000K bulb. Check Dr Foster And Smith, (sponsor here) they have several NO bulbs under $15. You may want to consider two 6500k and one actinic, esp if you have separate ballasts, there's nothing like the look of corals under actinic :D .

Good luck and keep us posted,

Agu

BTW, unless you know the color temps I'd replace all three bulbs, use them on your freshwater tank.

Darn read this to late. But, I was lucky and when I question the price of the bulb they gave it to me for $20. Right now I have 1 10,000k - 1 20,000k and one actinic. But you said to go with 2 6500k... I always thought the higher the brighter and better. Is that right or wrong? I do like the price of the 6,500k NO bulbs alot more;)

Agu
01/08/2003, 07:56 PM
I was just pointing out minimum lighting, anything beyond that is a whole other thread.

Agu

btw, higher k does not necessarily mean brighter, but that again is a whole other discussion.

Im Lon 2
01/08/2003, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by Agu
I was just pointing out minimum lighting, anything beyond that is a whole other thread.

Agu

btw, higher k does not necessarily mean brighter, but that again is a whole other discussion.

So what would you recommend I currently have a – Torch Coral – Pulsating Xenia – Bubble Coral – Brown, and Green Button Polyps – Blue Ridge (very small Piece) – Candy Cane – Blue and Red Mushrooms – Purple or Brown Velvet (not quite sure the name of it) and last but not least the 4 New Green Star Polyps I just found after cleaning the Hair Algae out of the tank. I had gotten these Star polyps, just a scrape off of a friends Rock that I thought just didn’t make it, at least 4 months ago. They are already standing stall and look really good.

mattboy
01/09/2003, 07:59 PM
Hi;

I've had a 10 gallon nano for about a year and have dealt with many types of algae. Here are my thoughts to add to the good advice you've already received:

1. Increase your water movement. You can get micro-jet powerheads (same company as maxi-jet) One will do it.

2. Try to grow some caulerpa in the tank.

3. You could try a hang on skimmer; the prizm is a good economical one.

4. If you're not skimming and/or growing caulerpa, increase your water changes for a while to 25% a week. Keep manually removing as much algae as you can, keep changing the water, and eventually you'll starve out the hair algae. Make sure you fully aerate your replacement salt water. High 02 content=high ph=less algae (hopefully) Also, do check your make up water with a TDS meter. They're cheap. Someone in our local club once checked the R.O. water of a local aquarium store, it was over 100ppm. You want less than 10.....

4.5 (I forgot this one) Try dripping some KW instead of topping off fresh water. Could help deal with the phosphates.

5. The bottom line here is that you have nutrients in your system that are feeding the algae. You need better nutrient export until they're lower. My nano has been an algae farm, and I have a sump/refugium and a skimmer, and high quality make up water. I do think that many of the problems with nanos are due to so much rock in so little space, combined with the difficulty of good water movement in such a small space.

6. When your larger system is ready, maybe move your clown to the big tank. My nano is now fish-free until the remaining turf algae dies. No fish food=no phosphate import

Good luck, hope this helps. Nanos are terrific, but real touchy. Hair algae and the like will grab nutrients like phosphate and nitrate at lower levels than most kits can measure, so even if you're testing zero, you got 'em.

Matt

Im Lon 2
01/09/2003, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by mattboy
1. Increase your water movement. You can get micro-jet powerheads (same company as maxi-jet) One will do it.
Check Just got one 3 days ago

2. Try to grow some caulerpa in the tank.

Check - my wife is crabing some on the way home from work

3. You could try a hang on skimmer; the prizm is a good economical one.

I have check - but have not hit send on the order yet from Marinedepot.com

I will look into more into the other comments after I give this a shot. I have been doing Water changes ever other day (10%). I took a tooth brush and breshed ever piece of rock I could get my hand on. Replaced one of my Bulb that I think got mixed up with my Fresh water tank. Things are starting to look better but not a 100% I and just trying to do everything I can to get through this and maybe in the future I will be able to help someone like you guys helped me.:D

pancho kid
01/29/2003, 08:46 PM
Hey man, I feel your pain! I had a small amount of red hair start to bloom about a month ago. I did exactly what you did (scrubbed with tooth brush) ---I also found that tweezers worked great on some of the really thick stuff.

The change in color in your softies definetly sounds like the're getting infringed upon, I would clean around them the best I could. It sounds like you might have to bight the bullet and remove all the rock and make sure it is clean.

Also, how many hours a day are your lights on?--whenever I see a little to much of any alge growth in my tank, I reduce the amount of light my tank gets by a 2-3 hours.

I would hold off on getting that 96watts until you get this algae problem taken care of.

just a few suggestions--hope they help--let me know how you make out.----PANCHO

ThingsReef
02/02/2003, 09:45 PM
Green Bubble algae-Get an emerald crab. Make sure your nitrates are low enough and get an emerald crab. You can supposedly pop bubble algae's yourself and they won't spread (pick them off and pull them out if you can). If however they pop naturally they will spread.

SaveOurReefs
02/02/2003, 11:45 PM
there really isnt any easy way too get rid of it , the only way I have seen a good job is with a bigger tank and a tang.

p.s. bump the 55 gallon too a 75 , that way you can get a nice yellow tang and not have too worry about going through all of this again.

schemo
02/03/2003, 02:57 PM
SaveOurReefs,
don't count on a yellow to eat the hair, you got a 50/50 chance, you'll be better off with a foxface eating the hair.

schemo

Sugar Magnolia
02/04/2003, 06:15 PM
I had quite a bit of hair algae on my rocks and while my tank was cycling I had a jewel damsel in there that ate every bit of algae off the rocks. Must not have fed it enough!

SaveOurReefs
02/05/2003, 01:13 AM
I dunno... I dont think the foxface would like a 75 gallon tank... but I guess if there are people that put dogs in closets , then people can put rabitfish in small tanks... ok just joking (not trying too pick a fight) but I though they liked 120 plus gallon tanks? you tell me (educate me)

Im Lon 2
02/06/2003, 12:40 PM
Does Hair algae look kind of like a feather? I had someone send me an e-mail giving me a different type of algae other than hair that also looked like a feather. And I lost the e-mail.

kmk2307
02/11/2003, 12:49 PM
imlon, something I did as kind of a cheap fuge for caulerpa was get one of those floating "breeder" things and take all the accessory pieces out of it and stuff it full of caulerpa. The caulerpa grew rapidly and did a decent job of exporting phosphates. I sold a brick of caulerpa to family pet center in edwardsville. Note, small pieces ended up getting out of the breeder and began growing here and there in the main tank (much to my displeasure). If you were to try this you would probably want to be careful to keep it from out of the main tank.

Good luck,
Kevin

kennerd
02/14/2003, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by kmk2307
imlon, something I did as kind of a cheap fuge for caulerpa was get one of those floating "breeder" things and take all the accessory pieces out of it and stuff it full of caulerpa.

I have a buddy who does that to grow out his macro to feed his tang, otherwise the little bugger goes through it all too quickly.

You may consider another cheapo alternative: a suction cup mounted betta/quaratine box. Here's a whole bunch:

Isolation tanks (http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/sc_view.cfm?siteid=6&pCatId=3768)