PDA

View Full Version : Diy

BamaCoach
01/04/2003, 05:13 PM
Any Alabama reefers make their own rock?

I have about 50lbs of diy rock in my tank now...been in there several months....almost a year. I have about 100 - 150lbs curing now.

Recipe I used....

20 parts crushed oyster shell
5 parts pasta
7 parts portland cement
Water...I would start with about 6 parts but would add more to get the consistency I was looking for.

I have also read that people have used plastic shavings on the outside of their diy rock and this seemed to promote coraline growth. (I do not have the lights to worry about coraline...yet)

My Plans....

I want to make enough diy rock to build the majority of my reef wall (72in tank length) I am going to make each rock so that it can be threaded anto 3/4 " pvc. This rock will be in place for a couple of years before I am ready to really start trying to have a reef...unless I lose patience :)

In the meantime, I just want focus on building the wall and keepinf a couple hardy fish so at least I have something to look at.

Any thoughts on the diy rock or suggestions?

BC

edsiajb
01/04/2003, 05:24 PM
Pasta? Really? Never heard of that, but what do I know. You may want to do a search...I am sure there is a lot of info here on the subject.

BamaCoach
01/05/2003, 07:30 AM
edsiajb,

The "theory" behind the pasta is that it will dissolve during the lenghty curing process and that will create a more porus rock. That recipe is not my "original", I looked here, on other boards, and on the GARF site for everyone's ideas.

Anyone here have access to large amounts of plastic shavings/pieces, (ex. "saw dust" left after cutting acrylic)? If I can not find shavings I am going to try and use plastic mesh scouring pads...just have to cut them up....

On the plastic "theory"...
Someone noticed that coraline seemed to grow quicker on the overflow boxes, or any other plastic surface, in their tank. they decided to try plastic shavings in some of their diy rock and reported that coraline seemed to grow on the plastic rock quicker. Not exactly scientific research, but I thought I would give it a try.

BC

Legion
01/05/2003, 08:44 AM
On the plastic "theory"...

Someone noticed that coraline seemed to grow quicker on the overflow boxes, or any other plastic surface, in their tank. they decided to try plastic shavings in some of their diy rock and reported that coraline seemed to grow on the plastic rock quicker. Not exactly scientific research, but I thought I would give it a try.

I was just reading in Reef Aquarium Vol.1 Sprung & Delbeek that coraline does in fact grow faster on plastic surfaces. Thats why you will see it grow first on Ph's, rocks, etc....before the glass. It is easier for it to adhere to surfaces that are rougher than glass in the beginnings of a reef system. Then over time as the glass in a aquarium becomes covered in a layer of thin algae it is able to grow onto it as well.

edsiajb
01/05/2003, 02:35 PM
BamaCoach,
OK - the pasta ingredient makes sense...thanks for the explanation. Regarding the coralline, in my tanks, it tends to grow on the plastic items and rock at the same time. The glass is the last place it gets started. I really don't know if the plastic would be much of an advantage over the plain rock without it. Maybe you could try some with and some without and then we would know for sure.

jpsx3
01/06/2003, 10:53 AM
If you make 1 or 2 extra pieces I would love to try a couple in my tank and see how it does in a side by side comparison to live rock.

BamaCoach
01/07/2003, 08:17 PM
Paul,

What size rock are you interested in?

This last batch of rock hopefully be ready to go in the tank in a couple of months.

BamaCoach

jpsx3
01/08/2003, 04:38 PM
My current rocks average 12" x 12" x 18". They are a one of the lightest live rocks I have seen and weigh 15 - 20 lbs each.

BamaCoach
01/08/2003, 09:05 PM
Paul,

My rock is going to be a lot heavier...especially this last batch. I made all of this rock a little more dense than the recipe calls for. I am planning on using it as the base for my rock wall, it will have the 3/4" pipe anchored in it, so I wanted to be safe.

I am hoping to get this last batch into water, not the tank, by this weekend...if I can I may be able to make another batch that will be a little less dense Saturday....

I have a few rocks which have been in my tank for a little while which are about half the size of what you describe. If you are interested in one of those...they would probably be a safer addition than a newly cured rock. If one of these cement rocks is added to the tank too soon they can leach some pretty bad chemicals. The rocks in my tank were cured in a large garbage can. The garbage can was completely filled with water and for about the first week I left a garden hose in the can with a small stream of water running. For the next couple of months I would just change the water every day. These rocks have been in my tank about 8 months and I have not seen any sign of leaching.

BamaCoach

jpsx3
01/10/2003, 09:01 AM
I appreciate the warning. I sure don't want to upset my tank. I have way too much invested. If you think one of the older rocks would be safe I would be willing to try. I just want to make sure I am not taking a huge risk.

BamaCoach
01/17/2003, 11:06 PM
Paul,

I have been doing a little more research on the DIY rocks. I think I can make some rock which is more porus (sp) and lighter than what I currently have. It is also supposed to look much more natural.

You are welcome to a couple pieces of rock that I have now...but they will come from my first two attempts at making the stuff. Or I can try and make a couple extra for you with "my new technique". Your call.

I have my second batch of rock curing in freshwater right now. I will probably be able to start putting some of it in the tank in about 7 weeks.

I do not know when I will make my third batch of rock...gonna have to be a bit warmer than it is right now :) . If I can get a decent weekend I will go ahead and make it. Looking at a time frame of two months to "cure" in freshwater, another month to get a decent weekend...that would loosely put us at about 3-4 months to you being able to get rocks from the third batch. That would also put me at or near the summer break...which would make travel much easier, at least for me.

Have you ever used any landscaping materials as your rock? I was reading about tufa rock being a good rock to use. The person suggested going to a landscaper to find it?

BamaCoach

jpsx3
01/20/2003, 09:13 AM
I've only had a reef tank since last spring. I have been very cautious about putting anything in my tank that has not been recommended by experienced reefers. So I have not been one to do much experimenting.

I am not sure what tufa rock is. If it is something I would use in landscaping we must refer to it by a different name. I have read about the man-made rocks that GARF has. I am mainly curious how man-made rocks would differ in look to real live rock.

I am in no hurry to get the rocks & am not very picky about the rock. I will leave it up to you which rocks and when. As far as meeting up to get me the rock, I am sef-employed with a flexible schedule so any time is good for me to drive to meet you.

My wife and I love to take our 2 boys on spontaneous day trips so you pick the day and we will swing down.

Icepic
01/21/2003, 05:05 PM
tufa rock

i had some in my tank once , while i was still setting it up ,, thou the pet store down here sell it ..

i was told it was mainly for fresh water , tanks , and not salt tanks , they say it plays havic with your ph levels ,that is what i read about it ,
so i removed it and gave it to the step dughter for her fresh water tank ..

Tufa is formed when
water evaporates
from lime-rich waters,
leaving calcite
(calcium carbonate)
to crystallize, often
with impurities of iron
oxides (rust), which
give tufa its yellow
and red coloration.

hope this helps some

BamaCoach
01/29/2003, 07:51 PM
Paul,

I have some pictures of my DIY rock on webshots...look for bamahermitcrab.

I think the rock I have curing will look a little better than these in the tank. Most of waht is in the tank is what I planned on being my base rock...

BamaCoach

jpsx3
01/30/2003, 11:32 AM
Coach,

Where do I go to look for "bamahermitcrab"?

BamaCoach
02/02/2003, 10:31 AM
www.webshots.com

Click on the Community tab and search for user: bamahermitcrab

bamacoach

jpsx3
02/04/2003, 05:14 PM
Coach,

I primarily saw the crabs but did catch a glimpse of the rock.

I am curious if you have any idea how long it will take to grow the coraline algea without plastic shavings.

Also it may be because of the close-up shots but the sand bed looks good and thick. How deep is it?