PDA

View Full Version : a few reef ?'s

gtownjeff
01/24/2001, 07:04 PM
First, if I get rid of the sand sifting star should I also get rid of my brittle and serpant stars too?
Second, I'm getting ready to lay a new floor in my house and I'm going to have to move my aquarium, Is there a safe way to move it without completely draining it(55 gal reg.) I hope so!!
Third, What is best a getting rid of green hair algae?
And Last, I'm having to "scrape"(w/ magnet cleaner) green film algae off my glass every second or third day What am I doing wrong, Whew I think that is all for now.
Thanks

rshimek
01/24/2001, 08:52 PM
Hi Jeff,

Originally posted by gtownjeff
First, if I get rid of the sand sifting star should I also get rid of my brittle and serpant stars too?

No, they don't attack the sand bed critters.

Second, I'm getting ready to lay a new floor in my house and I'm going to have to move my aquarium, Is there a safe way to move it without completely draining it(55 gal reg.) I hope so!!

Not as far as I know. You might try posting that question in the general discussion forum and see if you get some advice.

Third, What is best a getting rid of green hair algae?

I suggest a two prong attack. First, some sea urchins {long spined urchins - Diadema species} graze on the stuff. Almost nothing else does. Then I suggest getting some macroalgae growing somewhere in your system to help knock down the nutrients the hair algae utilize. You have to periodically harvest the other algae to remove the nutrients, and it may be grown in the sump or refugium.

And Last, I'm having to "scrape"(w/ magnet cleaner) green film algae off my glass every second or third day What am I doing wrong?

You are not doing anything wrong. Lotsa folks have the same problem. It is caused by a persistant alga and no good grazers. Now the bad part, there aren't many snail grazers that can handle this stuff. You might see if an abalone will help. Otherwise, I would suggest trying the macroalgae to out compete it for nutrients (See my answer above).

Good luck :D