PDA

View Full Version : Near Future Clam Purchases

MtnDewMan
01/24/2001, 07:02 PM
Okay, I have a small reef aquarium, 30 gallon. Mainly set up for SPS and Clams. I want a maximum of 3 clams and I have one already ... Started with a Derasa which is pictured below ...

http://www.fitermania.com/aquarium/images/derasa_clam_1-20_01.jpg

This is on the substrate ... I currently have one 250W 6500k Iwaski MH supplemented with two 75W VHO actinics. The sand bed is 4 inches deep, so it is about 14 inches from the water surface. Alk sitting at 11.2 dkh and Calcium at 430 ppm.

I am in the works of getting my last 2 clams. I think from Steve Tyree at Dynamic Ecomorhology. He is going to hand pick me a 2" Maxima Ultra and 2" Crocea Ultra in a week or so when he goes and picks out some clams. I am pretty excited about that.

Anyone get any clams from Steve in the past? What are your experiences with them?

herefishiefishie
01/24/2001, 08:03 PM
Sounds like you have a solid plan. Do you already have places picked out up on the rocks for your maxima and crocea? Also, do you plan on trying to find a more green-colored crocea (rather than turquoise) because of the blue maxima you'll have? Let's hear all about it...

I have not gotten any clams from Steve, although I have heard good things about him. I usually get my clams from other hobbyists who are downsizing tanks or getting out of the hobby. Also, I occasionally get a clam with the credit I rack up at the LFS selling caulerpa and xenia and leather frags. :D

MtnDewMan
01/24/2001, 10:57 PM
Yes, as a matter of fact I do have a couple of places picked out for the Crocea and Maxima ... The Crocea about 6" below the water surface right under the MH and the Maxima about 2 inches below and to the left of the Crocea, about 8 or 10" below the surface. The 250W should make that work out okay.

I am letting Steve pick out some good clams for me. I told him I want <b><font color="red">COLOR</font></b> in the clams ... blues, greens, purples, and even red. He will call me with what he finds next week.

Of course I will post pictures ... I love taking pictures of the critters :)