PDA

View Full Version : Next Meeting Saturday, January 11th.

Corpus Callosum
01/03/2003, 07:10 PM
Hey guys,

Here comes the January meeting once again thanks to Les. Same place, Same time (2PM). Anyone new to the meeting can look at the posts of older meetings to know where and how to get there.

Anyone up for trading frags is welcome to reply to this post stating what they have to trade or what they might want. I'll bring name tags again and you guys can pretend to wear them. It's time to take it easy on introductions and get more organized. We need to decide on a topic meeting this time. Then we can all read up this week, and share knowledge/experiences about that topic at the meeting.

Any nominations...
lighting, water movement, water changes, etc.... majority wins.

-Mike

Unseentric
01/03/2003, 07:45 PM
Frags I have available:

Huge Xenia frags attached to small pieces of rock.
Red Mushroom attached to rock
Purple Pimple Mushrooms (unattached)
Blue stripped Mushrooms (Unattached)
Green Mushrooms (attached to rock)
Candy cane
Also a huge Goniopora colony (lime green; looks really nice under actinics)

*Can send Pictures, if requested.

Im going out on a limb, and voting for Algea Turf scrubber filtration...In the middle of turning a compartment in my sump into one.

pyro383
01/03/2003, 07:59 PM
Unseentric, I am interested in your mushrooms except for the green.

I will bring zoos, sun corals, grape caulerpa, toadstool leather and maybe a green stripe mushroom. (these are tiny frags, so I hope no one minds)

I am looking for mushrooms of different colors, just 1 of any is fine and also zoos.

Maybe topics should be sumps and water movement. I also hope that we can discuss some basics for the newbies and those who need to come back. Also maybe people can bring softies.

Corpus Callosum
01/03/2003, 08:17 PM
Yeah I guess we would discuss the basics too but I wouldn't really be too worried about that part of it, since the topic is just a starting point. We all know how talking about one thing leads to talking about another, and everyones always welcomed to asking each other questions. You don't always have to be an expert to share experiences or what not, just don't hide and dont' be shy.

Eric,

It was cool meeting you at the 2nd meeting hope to see you this time too, and I wouldn't worry about small frags - if they're from your tank I'm sure they'll take off wherever they go. These aren't wild specimens we're trading, they're all captive stuff already acclimated to tank conditions... this hobby rocks.

stealyourhouse
01/04/2003, 01:04 AM
Did you guys see that the DC Reef Assoc. has Sanjay Joshi speaking about Lighting and the Boston one has Eric Borneman talking about Corals?

Perhaps if we lined up one of the big boys to give us a talk, more people would be interested.

Corpus Callosum
01/04/2003, 01:28 AM
In the past our club has not been super organized, and in my opinion to have people like them come to our meetings, would be an insult to them. But yeah I'll definitely work on getting them to speak at future meetings, now that the club is getting in order.

Stix
01/04/2003, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by sci33
In the past our club has not been super organized, and in my opinion to have people like them come to our meetings, would be an insult to them. But yeah I'll definitely work on getting them to speak at future meetings, now that the club is getting in order.

I disagree. I don't think it woud be an insult at all. We are usually a group of about 20 and I'm sure if we advertised it, a lot of people would show up.

DgenR8
01/04/2003, 06:36 PM
I'd love to see some big names come to speak, but I agree with Mike, the club needs to get a little more established first.

Looks like I'm going to be able to bring at least one, maybe two BTA clones. I'm picky about where they wind up, and I will not remove them from my tank unless I have definite takers for them. I also have some finger leather, and some zooanthids, and some Montipora Digi. The time has come for me to get some famous john Link xenia out of my tank as well.
I'm interested in things that aren't green in trade. Got blue mushrooms, or purple acros etc.?

Corpus Callosum
01/04/2003, 07:22 PM
Nick,

I am not talking about the number of people. That's not the problem. I'm talking about the fact that people like Sanjay Joshi have spoken at important things like MACNA, and for them to come in front of a group with not much sense of direction (when should we start speaking, should we wait for more people, this , that , etc.) doesn't seem right to me. Now our club is getting established better, like we will have a better discussion this time than previous times I'd bet, plus we're more organized. So I'd say now is a good time to start thinking about speakers and stuff, but a month or two ago when the club was more in its infancy it didn't seem right.

Thanks for the input and you are right :D

So is anyone else gonna suggest topics they want to talk about or what ? I'm beginning to think I would have better luck asking the wall.

DgenR8
01/04/2003, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by sci33
So is anyone else gonna suggest topics they want to talk about or what ? I'm beginning to think I would have better luck asking the wall.

Well, water changes are always a hot topic of discussion, maybe we could go that route, or Dr. Ron's recent take on Protein Skimming should prove interesting.

Corpus Callosum
01/04/2003, 07:38 PM
yeah I wouldn't mind talking about the whole skimming / heavy metals issue

DgenR8
01/04/2003, 07:42 PM
Looks like I better go read that article, FAST!

Corpus Callosum
01/04/2003, 07:50 PM
I'll tell your wife to get the whip.. or maybe the shock gun

JB NY
01/05/2003, 09:59 AM
How about water current? How do you have you set it up? Tips to setting up a closed loop? What works in the beginning, do you have to change it as time goes on, How do you work with growing corals blocking water flow? How much flow is enough?Then lead into some basics of plumbing. I know when I started plumbing was a big mystery. I still get lots of email from people off my website with lots of basic plumbing questions, so I think lots of people are interested.

Justjoe
01/05/2003, 12:36 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by sci33
[B]Nick,
<<I am not talking about the number of people. That's not the problem. I'm talking about the fact that people like Sanjay Joshi have spoken at important things like MACNA>>

Just some input... I spoke at MACNA infront of 450 people back in 1994 and I have spoken at clubs when there was maybe 20 people attending, in this case size doesn't matter, especially when its the quality of the people and their interest/ questions, etc. so I wouldn't worry about that. Since I can't make this meeting, I'll be glad to be the guinea pig speaker for LI Reefers at the next meeting.
Joe

Corpus Callosum
01/05/2003, 03:02 PM
yeah we can talk about that too

Justjoe
01/05/2003, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Justjoe
Since I can't make this meeting, I'll be glad to be the guinea pig speaker for LI Reefers at the next meeting.
Joe [/B]

No jokes about the guinea pig and me being Italian either!

montepora
01/05/2003, 09:52 PM
Water changes!!! To change or not to change, what is the benefit of changing and what is the downside. Does the salt really cause longterm side effect for the DSB?? Or is just a hoax as many people still have their DSB working after years of water change. I guess so far it is me and Larry on this.

Oh, BTW, I like the water movement too especially now there is a new gadget called SQUID!! So JB gets a vote from me too.

Corpus Callosum
01/05/2003, 09:55 PM
Nick and I are planning on ordering squids (SCWD's).. we'll see how it goes.

I guess everyone likes the whole water change / salt thing?

Unseentric
01/06/2003, 02:01 PM
Wanted to know if anyone could spare a little south-down sand that they might have lying around? I need like 2-3 zip-lock bags worth.... I need it for my 2nd refugium
Thanks in advance Pete

Water changes sound like a good topic...

Stix
01/06/2003, 04:14 PM
Pete, I'll bring you some Southdown.

Unseentric
01/06/2003, 04:22 PM
Stix, you the man!

pyro383
01/06/2003, 09:12 PM
if anyone can bring caulerpa, that would be good

Stix
01/06/2003, 09:42 PM
grape caulerpa?

SWW1268
01/06/2003, 09:46 PM
I'll bring in some. It's mixed.

MIKE NY
01/06/2003, 09:46 PM
Yea I third the water change ritual. What is the deal with salt and the DSB and the build up of excess trace elements with the use of two part additives over the long run. I've been doing them religously for years for those reasons and for nitrate and phosphate levels because I underskim.

Does water current have to be changed over time and how much is too much or not enough?

See you guys there
Mike

SWW1268
01/06/2003, 10:06 PM
We can talk about water, but I'm interested in lighting. I'd like to know if actinics are necessary. I have MH lighting now and I read somewhere that if I get a bulb with 14,000K+ color, I don't need actinics. Can someone tell me if that's true?

Corpus Callosum
01/06/2003, 11:14 PM
I think since most people like the idea, lets just go with the whole water changes vs skimming vs heavy metal vs buildup vs is doc ron crazy or not ? topic.

Steve, even though I have no experience with the 14,000k bulbs, from my reading there are mixed results, some say it doesn't have as much PAR as 65k or 10k has, some say its too blue, etc.. Either way, the spectrum that true actinics have is I think around 420nm or something like that which no metal halide bulb replicates (even though our eyes cannot tell the difference between blue and true actinic)..

pyro383
01/08/2003, 12:56 PM
I am trying to sell my 144w jbj 2 fan 2 actinic 2 10k black hood pc setup. I will bring it only if someone is interested. $135 7mo old

montepora
01/08/2003, 01:58 PM
Anyone wanna join the large angel reef club???

I got this really pretty changling Annularius Angel. 4.75", fat as hell, eats flake food. You can see the adult pattern clearly.

$45

ralphie
01/08/2003, 05:48 PM
I am looking to buy a small red or not blue mushroom on Saturday. Anybody selling? How big and how much? I am really looking for some small ones.

Anybody looking to sell a tank raised Bangaii Cardinal?

Corpus Callosum
01/08/2003, 05:51 PM
Alright I might as well jump in this advertising bandwagon..

I got a brand new barebones 13 watt 10k PC bulb, plus mint condition reflector, plus the ballast. I got it a couple months ago from AHsupply for a project I was going to do to my african tank, but I got side tracked, it went into storage, and is in mint brand new condition not being used right now, was only used once to be tested.

I don't want any money, anyone who wants it can have it, just promise me a frag in the future thanks.

jarhead
01/10/2003, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by JB NY
...I still get lots of email from people off my website with lots of basic plumbing questions, so I think lots of people are interested. Including myself ;). If I'll be able to attend this meeting, be certain that you'll hear from me.:D