PDA

View Full Version : Sump fittings?

Pairadize
01/24/2001, 12:56 AM
I have put together some acrylic sheets for a sump. I wanted to know what size pvc pipe I should use for the connections (inlet,outlet)?

There are the 1/2 and 3/4 sizes. I have a 55 gallon with a 20 gal sump. I have not picked out a skimmer, pump, filter yet so these are not a issues yet.

Does anyone here have some fantasic designs for sump plumbing and connections. I was looking at making part of the sump a evap tank. Looks like there are float switches with water control valve availble at HD. Any suggestions or designs that work great...send them my way.

David Grigor
01/24/2001, 02:20 PM
It really depends on the use of the sump.

If you plan on using a submersable return pump and in sump skimmer you shouldn't need any holes drilled in the sump.

If you plan to use an external return pump or skimmer then the in/out diameters of the equipment will dictate the size of bulkhead to use........

For evaporation the cheapest,simpliest most dependable (IMO) would be to use a Kent Float valve gravity feed with your top off water being a platic bin above the sump. You should be able to find plenty of info on this type setup using the Search of this forum......By the way the Kent Float valve has all fitting needed to attach to your sump you just only need to drill a 5/8" hole for the valve.

Snailman
01/24/2001, 08:32 PM
If you do drill hole for bulkheads put in 1" bulkheads with internal pipe threads. You can always use a reducing male adapter to get down to you 3/4" or 1/2" for your pump but if you put in a 1/2" bulkhead and next year you want a larger pump with a 3/4" fitting you then have a mess on your hands because making a hole larger is kind of messy. I would also put a union ball valve on the bulkhead so that you can cut the sump off while you do pump cleaning or swapping. Norwesco makes a real nice all plastic 1" single union ball valve with female pipe threads in both ends (part # 60411) and it has a 1" hole all the way through it so it does not restrict the flow at all. I use one of these on the input and output of my pumps with the union towards the pump. I just turn the pump off and then close two ball valves and then open the two unions and lift the pump out for cleaning or replacement in case of a failure.