PDA

View Full Version : Center Brace on Perfecto tank broke!!

grizz
01/24/2001, 12:22 AM
I was doing a water change today and noticed that the center brace on my perfecto 110 gal high was broken at the front frame of the glass.. there was about 1/2 inch gap between the brace and the frames.. obviously the walls were bowing!! I made a steel brace and painted it so it wouldnt rust and brought the walls back together... my question is this.. what are your experience with the center braces.. any problems... any horror stories? and how about perfecto.. are they bad tanks? I have only had this tank for a year... I would hate to have to replace it already... thanks for your help.. any other suggestions would be appreciated..

Agu
01/24/2001, 10:29 AM
Grizz,

Bummer :( !!

I have no experience with perfecto tanks so can't comment on them. Painted steel that close to the water long term would make me nervous. I'd look into having a stainless steel brace made, or at least put some type of splash shield under the replacement brace.

Agu

grizz
01/24/2001, 12:19 PM
The center brace is still attached on the back side, so when we put the new painted brace on, it goes over that brace... do you still think I will have problems??

Agu
01/24/2001, 12:36 PM
If it's the wide glass or plexi brace you should be OK, I was thinking of the narrow plastic strips on smaller tanks.

Agu

grizz
01/24/2001, 02:10 PM
It is the brown plastic brace that is part of the top frame... there was alot of pressure on the side walls..

Zeph
01/25/2001, 07:56 AM
Have you called Peefecto? I just recently received a full refund on some PC lights that went bad (of course they were under recall). There customer service was outstanding.

Their number is 317-773-6627.

Thanks,

Zeph

grizz
01/25/2001, 09:32 AM
Zeph,
Is that Perfecto's number? I didnt know that they made pc lights.. I will for sure give them a call... thanks!!

grizz
01/25/2001, 06:00 PM
Well, I called them and needless to say they were very helpful!! They are sending me a new top frame for the tank.. however? How the heck do I get the old one off and put the new one on without breaking the glass... I was recommended to drain the tank too.... any thoughts?

Snailman
01/25/2001, 08:12 PM
I have taken the top frame off of a tank before and I was trying to not break it because it was OK. I was replacing the end glass on the tank. They are glued on with the same silicone that the tank is put together with. :( Because it won't matter if you break yours it will be a lot easier. If you think of the frame as an upside down U, they put a healthy bead of silicone in the bottom of the U and then flip it over and press it down on the tank. To get it off you have to cut that silicone from the outside of the glass and the inside and then just pry it off. You might want to call them back and see what they recomend too.