PDA

View Full Version : How much sand does a cuke need?

DD
01/23/2001, 06:33 PM
My tamk measures 22"x22".With the rock work i probably only have about 1 to 1 1/2 sq ft(5"DSB) of exposed sand.My LFS has a holothuria(thimiosycia)hilla.Would i have enough sand to support this animal.How long should a tank be setup before i add one?Will this animal clean the surface?Thanks in advance!

rshimek
01/23/2001, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by DD
My tamk measures 22"x22".With the rock work i probably only have about 1 to 1 1/2 sq ft(5"DSB) of exposed sand.My LFS has a holothuria(thimiosycia)hilla.Would i have enough sand to support this animal.

Probably, if it is a small individual.

How long should a tank be setup before i add one?

Probably on the order of 3 months or so.

Will this animal clean the surface?

It will mop the surface eating some of the debris. So, yes, sort of. These are good animals in that they help work some fine material into the sand as well as eating other stuff.

DD
01/23/2001, 07:45 PM
How small is small?The one i saw was about 5" long!How big do they get?Will this cuke burrow in the day time or is it always active.Does it go on LR or stay on the sandbed?Are there any attractive looking cukes that are good for a reeftank.

[Edited by DD on 01-23-2001 at 06:59 PM]

rshimek
01/23/2001, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by DD
How small is small?The one i saw was about 5" long! That is about half maximum size. They don't grow much in our tanks.

Will this cuke burrow in the day time or is it always active.

Holothuria species do not burrow. They move around on the substrate mopping it with their oral tentacles.

Does it go on LR or stay on the sandbed?

It may do both.

Are there any attractive looking cukes that are good for a reeftank.

:D Probably not. Some of the medusa worms are pretty nice looking, but they have a bit of a bad reputation.

DD
01/24/2001, 06:24 PM
So do you think I have enough sand area to keep a cuke alive long term?

rshimek
01/24/2001, 08:34 PM
Hi,

I suspect if you feed your tank reasonably well, that a small cuke should do fine.

:D

DD
01/24/2001, 08:51 PM
Well i guess i am off to buy the 5" cuke i saw!To bad its so ugly!:D