PDA

View Full Version : Prop tank lighting

robwsup
12/30/2002, 04:25 PM
I'm making a small prop tank out of a 29 gallon Sterlite (rubbermaid) container. It will be plumbed to my main display tank via the sump, so water parameters for frags will be identical to the mother colonies. The Main tank is a hard/soft mix, but I will be doing mostly softies (Sarco, Xenia, GSP, shrooms) in the prop tank for growout. My three lighting options are:

1. 250w MH, old Iwasaki bulb on MV ballast

2. 2x55w JBJ fixture, need to buy bulbs

3. 2x65w LOA fixtures, will buy new from Home Depot, about the same cost as a pair of PC bulbs.

Any ideas? Suggestions?

Robert

Eric Boerner
12/30/2002, 05:00 PM
For maximum growth, you want to make sure your using primarily 6500's for color. Throw in at least 1 actinic type NO or PC for flouresing if you're doing zoos or shrooms to get them to glow nicely.

I have set up a prop tank in a 20 gallon using two LOA floodlights from HD side by side. Xenia grew like mad under it.

For what you're planning to prop, the Metal Halide would be overkill, but, for the future if you start trying SPS, it might be a good move.

The LOA is the best bang for the buck, and does work well. Sarco, Xenia, and shrooms should do just fine. I don't think you'd get GSP to grow under it though.

robwsup
12/30/2002, 10:29 PM
I would like to have more flexibility in the future to grow out SPS frags. Do you think a higher Kelvin temp MH bulb would grow the Sarcophyton and GSP's faster? I have a 400w ballast lying around, how would stuff like that grow under a radium?

Robert

robwsup
01/03/2003, 11:57 PM
No one else has an opinion?

Robert

jdg
01/05/2003, 02:40 AM
Sorry, not an opinion, more of a question:

What's GSP ? :)

TIA!

Joe

Carlos
01/05/2003, 03:25 AM
I would not jump the gun right now. Use what yo currently have. The 250 watt Iwasaki would be nice to have and would be good light to get you started with the softies and LPS. Also, SPS will grow there. I personally think that the 250 watt Iwasaki and a couple of VHOs would give you a really good all-around prop tank. If you want to get into more sps corals and all, then kicking up the wattage is a good idea but since you are starting AND already have the equipment, using what you have is better. Get a good handle on what you are getting into and THEN purchase what you will find out is the best for your corals and your purpose.

HTH,

Carlos

Alexis
01/06/2003, 01:58 AM
Get the 3 of LOA lights. Everything grows fast under them. Just put a fan beneath them to keep them cool and protect the ballast from moisture and you will be fine. Replacement bulbs are only like $12 too.

aquageorge
01/19/2003, 01:27 PM
I use eight Sterlite containers myself, two for sumps and six for growout. Mine are about eight inches deep. I light them mostly with NO 40W Triton bulbs (three years now) and they work great for all softies and most LPS. I have six bulbs per three tubs, hung about two inches over the water surface. Powered by Coralife electronic ballasts.

George

aquageorge
01/19/2003, 01:30 PM
I've had a bad experience with those cheap LOA lights. I've returned two or three because they just didn't work, others I've had would blink forever before turning on. I just threw one away because it rusted out. More trouble than they're worth IME.

G.

robwsup
01/19/2003, 11:02 PM
I went ahead and bought a Hellolights VHO setup so I can run 4x75w VHO's. The kit is real cheap ($159), and I have been satisifed with the one that I already have from them. It's been up and running for about a week now, and I am in the process of transferring frags from the main tank to the prop tank. Thanks for the advice.

Robert

clowdy
01/20/2003, 03:49 PM
does anybody know the aprox cost of running those VHO's per month? i'm looking into a prop tank but i want to get all the numbers down to see if it's worth it.