PDA

View Full Version : Re-locating To The Dallas Area

SPasse
12/30/2002, 01:39 PM
Hi All,

My company, which was previously based in Denver, has been migrating to Carrollton TX over the past few years.

It looks like I could be re-locating there myself during the next few months.

So tell me about the DFWMAS.

Regards,

Scott

Technobuyer
12/31/2002, 11:46 AM
Scott,

You'll want to stay away from Brad, and whole host of others... ;) I'll fill you in, check your PM. :D

newbie1
01/04/2003, 10:35 PM
Welcome to Carrollton, if you come down.

dvups1
01/04/2003, 10:47 PM
Welcome to Texas! Hey techno fill me in as well. I have been thinking of joining.

ravenmore
01/05/2003, 09:48 AM
Welcome to DFW Scott!!!

I'm going to go ahead and join DFWMAS as well. I should've done it a long time ago.

-Mike

melev
01/06/2003, 01:46 AM
Hey Mike, hurry up and join. We have a meeting at Planet Pet this Wednesday evening.

That skimmer didn't fit under my stand, can you believe it? I'm going to drill the stand and run it externally. :lol:

ravenmore
01/06/2003, 08:39 AM
Howdy Marc - That sux about the skimmer. Worse comes to worst you should at least be able to sell it and get your money back - or even make a profit (hey wait a minute, I want half.... ;) ).

I can't make the meeting this week, darnit. I have to work at the "OTHER" aquarium store Wedn. night.

melev
01/06/2003, 10:57 AM
It'll be fine. I'm about to build a 3-sectional sump, refugium, and return/topoff chamber instead, and I'll put that badboy on the outside and maybe hide it with an ivy plant. :D

I heard yesterday that next month's meeting should be at the Dallas Aquarium. Maybe you can make that one?

Hey, did you ever check on the "L" shaped tank you told me that store was getting in?

ravenmore
01/06/2003, 11:18 AM
The L shaped tank never made it in, at least not that I heard of. - sorry 'bout that.

I might be mistaken but I don't think you can run those AquaC's externally - thought they pretty much have to be in a sump?

Hopefully I can make the meeting next month. Is that at Fair Park or the Dallas World Aquarium downtown??? Either would be pretty cool.

melev
01/06/2003, 11:41 AM
Mike

Remember, for us to stay on topic, you have to join! :D

I really believe it willl work fine externally, as long as I never have a wierd overflow explosion. I was just talking with Barry about that yesterday. He's the webmaster for the club, btw. If I run the drain spout to a container that is actually still in the sump, then if the skimmer goes nuts it should just drain back into the system.

However, now that you've got me thinking, I think I have a much better idea. I'm already building everything out of acylic anyway. So I'll just make a holding container-like tray that will literally drain back into the sump in case it does go nuts one day. I can control all the water outlets, except for those air intake holes. With the acrylic draining tray, it would even handle that. Thanks for making me think! ;)

Now back to the thread.... welcome to DFW!

SPasse
01/11/2003, 04:08 AM
newbie1,

The engineering office of my company is located on Valwood Pkwy near Luna in Carrolton.

I would like to live not too far from the office so I am looking for neighborhoods in the Carrollton-Farmers Branch area.

Regards,

Scott

newbie1
01/11/2003, 10:09 AM
Hehe,
I know exactly where that is.
Your company is right around the corner a fish store called
saltwater solutions on 35 and valwood.

Do you have kids and concerned about schools?
House or apt?
What is your maximum drive time to work?

SPasse
01/11/2003, 11:46 AM
newbie1,

I would like to keep the commute to 30 min. or less. But I tend to avoid rush hour by coming in to work really early, so I mean 30 min. during light traffic.

I have one 10 year old in school, and a 9 month old.

My wife is trying to be a stay at home mom.

I would be looking for a house.

I have driven by Saltwater Solutions, many times getting on to the 635/35, but I haven’t stopped in yet.

My company is going to rent an apartment for the three remaining Denver founders, to use until we make the move. I will be in Dallas four days out of every week, until I actually move down there.

Regards,

Scott

newbie1
01/11/2003, 03:53 PM
SPasse,

My recommendation to you for a home, that will hold the value
the best, and the best schools in the area would be
Coppell, Tx. I think it would be around a twenty minute
drive depending on where you live in that city. It's next to carrollton, lewisville and valley ranch/irving.
If you buy there, make sure the school is in the Coppell school
district, some of the homes there are in the Lewisville school district.

I live in Carrollton, on the north side next to Plano near the tollway.

That would be my choice in that area if I could afford to move
there.

I can give you a couple of realator names if you want.

ravenmore
01/12/2003, 08:27 AM
I've been by Salwater Solutions a couple of times - wasn't really impressed. Actually I was fairly unimpressed to be honest.

Aquatic Designs in Plano is good. Also Pet Shop Boutique in Garland. There's a couple in the mid-cities that are really nice I hear, but I haven't made it out there. I work part time at Dallas N. Aquarium. It's pretty nice but expensive.

Best of luck moving in and welcome to the neighborhood. :D