PDA

View Full Version : Are Nassarius snails too efficient?

FishGeeek
01/23/2001, 12:34 PM
I have a question about Nassarius snails. I had a chunk of xenia fall off the rock structure. This has happened several times in the past with same frag. One time it was "lost" for 8 days without light. It always has recovered fine. Well the other day it tipped over again but this time my nassarius snails decided to eat it. What I am wondering is if the snails sensed the xenia was in distress thus, cleaned it up? Even though the frag would have been fine once placed back up in the light and current. Do you think the snails might go to work to soon in some cases?

Brian

rshimek
01/23/2001, 12:57 PM
Hi Brian,

I suspect that somehow in the tipping over the Xenia was injured and gave off a chemical cue that attracted the snails, and triggered them to eat it. As far as I know there is no data to suggest they will attack intact animals.

So, I guess in this case, they may have been too efficient as a slightly damaged Xenia probably would have recovered. On the other hand, perhaps the Xenia was injured enough that it wouldn't have recovered.

Guess we'll never know. :)