PDA

View Full Version : Kold Ster-il fiasco, the last chapter

Agu
01/23/2001, 10:15 AM
As some of you may recall I purchased a Kold Ster-il unit from Premium Aquatics that would not work with my municipal water supply. The whole story is here http://archive.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=11235 and you need to read it if you're considering one of these units.

Jason at PA is under legal restraints from the manufacturer, and can no longer deal in any of their products in any way. Poly bio marine (the manufacturer) ignored repeated requests to guarantee their product, and refused to admit it wasn't viable in my application. I was screwed!!!

Jason recommended I sell it at a specified price and he would make up my loss in store credit. Well I finally sold it (with full disclosure of my problems btw), but for less than what Jason specified.

Got an email from Jason, he'll make up my ENTIRE LOSS in store credit. What can I say, acts speak louder than words.

Three thumbs up for PA,
Three thumbs down for Poly Bio Marine,

Agu

joeyz
01/23/2001, 06:00 PM
Hey Agu - glad to see you unloaded your Kold Ster-il unit and got credit for it as well.
I remember that post back then but as for your situation goes, I don't quite remember it being a fisasco. Didn't you purchase this product from Jason and then later found out that you could not use it with your water? I've had the opportunity to deal with Ken regarding these units and all I can say is that so far he has come back to me with lengthy emails and also analyzed my water report that I received from the environmental protection agency. I think the whole problem with Poly Bio is that these filters are mainly used for drinking water applications. They get all these calls from "reefers" asking them questions that are not run-of-the-mill questions and that definitely don't apply to drinking water. It's so funny that we actually put better water into our fish tanks than we drink. LOL LOL LOL!!!
Anyway, I have my unit on order and I should have it this week. Hopefully it works out for me....
If not, then I'll come back and eat these words and shell out the cash for an RO/DI. In the meantime, I am willing to chance this to be good :)

Agu
01/24/2001, 09:36 AM
joeyz,

Any reefers out there hauling their water outside so they can pour in a little muriatic acid into it to adjust their pH? Oh, and they'll give me a break on the alumina adsorber because I'll be exhausting it very quickly, just buy it in bulk. A $300 water purification unit I can't use otherwise is a fiasco in my book.

Hope it works out for you!!

Agu

joeyz
01/24/2001, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by Agu
Any reefers out there hauling their water outside so they can pour in a little muriatic acid into it to adjust their pH? Oh, and they'll give me a break on the alumina adsorber because I'll be exhausting it very quickly, just buy it in bulk.

Agu,
How high was the ph coming out of that thing? :)
If you used up alot of alumina, your water must be a real mess and thus any purifier you use will need lots of replacement media.