PDA

View Full Version : magnetic cleaner for nano acrylic ???

Agu
12/27/2002, 11:02 PM
I can't find a magnetic cleaner that would work for a small acrylic nano. I found several but they're rated for 1/4" acrylic or above. Besides being too thick, if I pushed the outside magnet the nano would probably just slide off the stand before the inside magnet moved :rolleyes: . What do you use on acrylic, and where can I find it ?

tia,

Agu

15 year old reefer
12/27/2002, 11:14 PM
What I did was I bought a small Mag Float that was not for acrylic. And between the two magnets I put a thin acrylic safe sponge. And the good thing is you can change the sponge whenever it gets to dirty. It works great. :D

Agu
12/31/2002, 01:12 PM
Couldn't find a small acrylic safe magnetic cleaner. The small floating type would be a pita in a nano even if I converted one, so I contacted Mark at Algaefree (sponsor here) about making a special magnet for acrylic nanos. Is there a need out there or is it just me?

Agu

RyanN
01/03/2003, 03:01 AM
Agu,

I used a small mag float and replaced the coarse velcro with some self adhesive velcro I found to be acrylic safe. You can pick it up at Wal-Mart or any craft store. It appears to be the same stuff Mag Float uses on their acrylic safe models.

HTH,

Ryan

samw
01/03/2003, 03:55 AM
Originally posted by Agu
Couldn't find a small acrylic safe magnetic cleaner. The small floating type would be a pita in a nano even if I converted one, so I contacted Mark at Algaefree (sponsor here) about making a special magnet for acrylic nanos. Is there a need out there or is it just me?

Agu

Isn't the Shrimp what you're looking for?

-"Our smallest magnetic cleaner cleans tanks from 10 to 55 gallons or for thickness for glass and acrylic up to 1/4".

So, this one is good for 1/4" glass and less.

http://www.aquariumcleaner.com/products.html

Agu
01/04/2003, 12:24 AM
samw,

Thanks for the link, but my tanks only 1/16" thick, the "shrimp" is a bit of overkill. Besides, I have an issue about spending more for the cleaning magnet than I paid for the tank. I could almost upgrade to a 10 gallon, buy a mag float for glass, and add another 13w pc for the cost of the "shrimp" magnet cleaner :confused: .

How do I tell if a "sponge" or velcro is acrylic safe. Besides of course trying it out on an inconspicious part of the tank. Not much of that on a 6.5 gallon nano though.

Agu

samw
01/05/2003, 06:22 PM
Agu, how about the Small Mag Float Acrylic magnet model 25A?

http://www.magfloat.net/specs.html

Its for tanks up to 3/16" so this is also below the 1/4" that you were asking about.

Agu
01/05/2003, 10:37 PM
samw,
I checked a half dozen LFS and not one carried the small mag float acrylic magnet cleaner, so I bought one for glass. I just cut a piece of cloth off an old tshirt and put that over the inside magnet. Won't take off the tough stuff but it still works, kinda. Thanks for the info though.

Agu

Agu
07/12/2003, 01:38 PM
Finally found a small acrylic safe magnet cleaner :D , at WalMart :rolleyes: , for five bucks :) .

Agu

dchisenh
07/12/2003, 06:47 PM
Really?...at Wally-world? What's the magnet called? :) I've been looking for one for awhile for my little acrylic tank. Just stumbled onto this thread a minute ago, or I would have echoed your need for one earlier. :D

-Dan

Agu
07/12/2003, 08:25 PM
" Aqua-Tech
Magnetic Algae Remover
Ideal for all aquariums-glass or acrylic"

It's not a Magnavore or Tunze, so don't move it too fast, but it does the job and doesn't scratch acrylic.

Agu