PDA

View Full Version : frags turned white

beach
12/27/2002, 11:00 PM
purchased some december specials from rc advertiser.they were cheap ,big and brown.i acclimated them in my 150g prop tank then harvested a few frags after a week and put them in my display tank.after 3 days 2 of the frags started turning white.i didn't notice them sloughing flesh and they still have that 'correct' smell. i took them down to my prop tank.one continued to turn white and one the color change stopped.para are great and i have done this same procedure several times.any input in what happened.4 other frags off of different corals are doing great.thanks beach.would love to send pics but not sure how to put an atttachment onto a thread or how to reduce the pixels.

Carlos
12/28/2002, 12:16 AM
Seems that the frags bleached.

How did you acclimate the frags to your lights and the tank temperature?

Is there a huge difference in lighting and temperature between your prop tanks and your display tank?

If the frags are just bleached, under the right conditions, they will recover their color though it might take some time for it to happen. As long as you still smell acro flesh, they should be fine. Try to find a good place for them and then leave them be. Moving them up and down, from one tank to the other, is very stressfull and might work against you.

Carlos

beach
12/28/2002, 05:22 PM
thanks for the reply carlos.the tanks are almost identical in para,temp,and salinity.my para are 500 ca,dKH 12.5,temp 78,and pH 8.1.both are serviced by skimmer and prot.skimmer.just checked para this am(do it 3x/wk).the display is lited by 4-vho and the prop 400w mh.acclim. is done in the prop with 2 hrs of lite increasing by 2 hrs/day up to 8 hrs then i have 12hrs of lite in reverse with my refugium.since i wrote this there has been no more blanching of frags but one colony had a couple branches turn white.the frags in my display look great the ones in my prop tank(frags and mother colonies have limited polyp extension.i may decrease lite for a week .if you have any other suggestions please respond.