PDA

View Full Version : Carpet Anemone question...

jimmyb
01/22/2001, 08:22 PM
Two days ago i picked up a carpet anemone from my LFS. I acclimated slowly and placed him in a 30g with 150W MH and 150W VHO actinics & a modified BakPak skimmer. Temperature around 83 degrees and two maxijet powerheads. I'm also having a slight bloom of brown algae.

He is currently attached to the side of the glass.

I've tried feeding a variety of foods brine shrimp, silversides, scallops, and shrimp but he won't accept any.

He seems to be opening his mouth turning it inside out, and after a while closing it not quite completely. I've heard that the opening/closing is a type of rapid respiration.

What else should i try feeding? Would DT's photoplankton help?

Can anyone explain what's happening?

Jim

Clyde
01/22/2001, 09:53 PM
brown alage ?

how old is the tank ? what other stuff you have ?

jimmyb
01/22/2001, 10:21 PM
The tank has been setup for about a month. I used extra rock and live sand which was left over from setting up my 125g. I used water from the 125 to fill the tank.

The algae looks like a diatom bloom.

Nothing else in the tank except for a few snails.

If it would help i could move him to the 125g where everything (sps, clams, fish, etc.) are doing great.

Jim

[Edited by jimmyb on 01-22-2001 at 10:29 PM]

Clyde
01/23/2001, 12:40 AM
i assume rock is cured and cycle has come to past ?

jimmyb
01/23/2001, 12:50 AM
Yes, the rock was cured.

Aquaman
01/23/2001, 07:18 PM
Not sure what could be happening other than stress! both from being transported to the LFS and then to your tank. Even though you used water from an established tank, cured rock and LS your tank is going through a cycle which is the cause of your diatom bloom. Check and post the following to give us a better idea of whats happening in your tank! Nitrite, Nitrates, Ammonia, Alk, PH, Calc, salinity level.

Oh yea, What kind of carpet??

carolina98
02/01/2001, 12:06 PM
I had a saddle carpet (haddoni) that relished squid! Try that, it's their favorite... if he won't take it there's definitely something up. Also sounds like oxygen shortage with the increased respiration. I'd increase circulation if there's any way. Don't dump it right on him, but perhaps add a PH, or two. Hopefully he'll settle down and plant somewhere.

HTH,
Good luck!

msjn771
02/04/2002, 06:52 AM
Jimmy, how did it turn out?