PDA

View Full Version : Question about internal pumps for circulation

David_Winther
12/26/2002, 12:57 PM
Hello all!

Just a quick question. I have a "wavemaker" powerstrip that cycles my pumps on and off inside my tank for a nice varied current flow. I have 4 RIO pumps hooked up to this thing, and I am very happy with the water movement inside the tank. However, I am NOT happy with these cheap little RIO pumps. I understand that they are not designed for a repeated ON/OFF application, but hey, they are cheap. The wife is unhappy with my continual replacement of these things however! LOL! So, my question is, what is a good but affordable pump/powerhead to use in the tank for this purpose. I am sick of the click click click everytime these RIOs start up! HA!

Thanks!

Look forward to meeting you all in Jan!

David Winther
Oak Harbor, WA

75 gal Reef, soon to be moved to a 180 gal. :D

Mushroom Boy
12/26/2002, 04:03 PM
Hi David.

I too have had bad luck with RIO pumps (I've been shocked multiple times). I personally have run MaxiJet pumps on a wavestrip with good results. HTH.

Paul

reedman
12/28/2002, 08:59 PM
Hey David. If you choose to go with the Maxijets, I would recomend buying from Jeffs Exotic Fish. They run specials on the MJs all the time and it's the best price I could find. The Christmas special he had was 2 MJs (any size) for $30. I ordered mine from there a while back and got them without a hitch. The have no problem with the on/off cycling.

Good luck!
-Reed

David_Winther
12/29/2002, 02:08 AM
Outstanding. I'll give the MJ's a try.

Thanks a lot!

-Dave