PDA

View Full Version : a weird thought maybe

saltwaterfishlover
12/22/2002, 03:43 PM
Ok I have an aga mini 7 bow.. I am suffering from hair alge.
Me being me I came up with an odd thought.
What do you think about cuttign a piece of plexi the width of the tank and placing it about 1.5 - 2" from the back panel and place 2 walls in it 3" from the sides. on the one side slit the top like an overflow and the other have a power head for return and use the middle as a small fuge?
what do you think of this idea

andy

RudeBoy
12/22/2002, 04:29 PM
Salt,
This is far from a weird thought. In fact, it's doable and has already been done in the retail market. Check out this guy's tank (http://www.chris.nano-reef.com/7.5/), he has exacly what you've described. You'd save yourself some serious money by doing it yourself as these little tanks are pretty pricey. Good luck!

TippyToeX
12/22/2002, 11:59 PM
I am so happy I found this thread. :D That link is going to work wonders for me. My ten gallon crashed after a long power outage. It was over run with hair algae as well. :(
I think adding a refugium this way would be perfect. Saltwaterfishlover, if you do this please post about your results.

Lunchbucket
12/23/2002, 10:27 AM
either that or add a hang on skimmer

Lunchbucket

brandon429
01/01/2003, 12:20 AM
yeah I should jump in here too, that thread referral over to Chris' website actually shocked me. had never read that site before...as I got to reading his designs, and looking at the dates, turns out he has been using an internal/divided refugium in his system for quite some time now. guess Ill have to go hunt down old threads and edit them severely again :)

thats the first time Ive seen that design used before november 2002--glad I read this thread tonite.

b429

RudeBoy
01/01/2003, 03:09 AM
Hey, my first post of the new year! Yeah, that design is sweet because not only does it help with the decor of the tank, it also let's you use the dividing panel as a overflow. You only loose about 2 1/2 - 3 inches of space in the back of your tank but all for a good cause. I'm actually gonna set up a 7gal bow front nano on my desk at work and I plan on using this exact design to cut down on the cluttered look.