PDA

View Full Version : My "bent glass" 7g Euro Nano!

RudeBoy
12/21/2002, 12:06 AM
As promised, I finally have pics of my 7g bent glass nano. This tank has sat in my LFS for 2 years and EVERYONE has passed it up because they believed it was acrylic. It's glass and it's mine now. The sweetest feature of this tank is the lighting. It has pedistal lighting that hovers over the top of the tank and is fitted with a ballast that has seperate controls for each bulb. There are 36w total on this tank and it's beautiful. I've designed a custom overflow inside the tank to hide the heater and venturi pump that runs my DIY skimmer. The only hardware to be exposed will be the outlet and the pump providing water flow. I'll post pics of it on my website tonight for those who want to see it. It's empty now and will be replacing my 10g nano.

RudeBoy
12/21/2002, 07:06 AM
Here's one shot of it:

http://home.rochester.rr.com/rudeboystank/pics/euroa.jpg

RudeBoy
12/21/2002, 07:07 AM
Here's a better shot that shows the lighting:

http://home.rochester.rr.com/rudeboystank/pics/eurob.jpg

Playfair
12/21/2002, 07:11 AM
Cool! Guess I was one of the ones that passed it up, but I'm pretty sure one of the reasons as I recall was the STEEP price tag! ($300ish?)

RudeBoy
12/21/2002, 07:17 AM
Dave, I gotta tell you this man. Millie, GAVE me this tank for $189 even. I got it yesterday. BTW, what are you doing up so early on Saturday? (hehe) It actually was $300 or so at one time and I guess they got sick and tired of looking at it. I showed a lot of interest in it, plus, I'm about 3 months away from my 90g setup. Which I will be calling on you for help with once I get it home. Gonna need some serious lighting tips. I've decided to go M.H. and VHO but my wallet (and lady) don't know that yet.

Lunchbucket
12/21/2002, 06:55 PM
is that a via aqua?? the 12 gal tank? i just saw one at my LFS and they had one that looke EXACTLY like it. 2x18w PC's w/ the exact hood....it was made by via aqua and was a 12gal tank...they had thiers on sale for 129.00 they had two also...i almost bought one :D

here is a link to thier site w/ teh tank i am speaking of (http://www.commodityaxis.com/tank.htm) 2nd tank down the chrome one

Lunchbucket

RudeBoy
12/21/2002, 08:06 PM
Yeah Lunch,
It's the Via Aqua but the said it's only a 7 Gallon, I find that hard to believe because it's tall as hell. I REALLY think it's 12g myself though. Filling it tonight without any rock and I'kll let you know. Hey Lunch, you don't think I went wrong by putting the corner overflow in there do you? I did it for two reasons... to skim the surface and to hide the pump for my skimmer and my heater. I drilled 3 holes (1/2 in diameter) about 3 inches from the bottom and spaced the holes an inch apart so water can enter the over flow from the bottom and maintain a certain level constantly for the sake of my heater. what do you think? I'm sick of my nano's having that clittered look. I only wanted to have the outlet and water flow pump in the tank if at all possible.

rburrell
12/21/2002, 08:38 PM
I agree that it's proabably in the 12g unless they have something new. I was looking into these tanks for a little while before buying one (same deal LFS had it sitting on the shelf for a while). At the time they offered a 12g, 18g and more recently came out with a 26g. I bought the 18g w/ standard hood, but am sorry I didn't get it drilled like yours. Nice job! RB

RudeBoy
12/21/2002, 09:55 PM
I just filled it up guys, it's a 12. They had it labeled as a 7g. I filled it to the top and thought I might have to empty some of the water once I add my LR. But, I forgot that my DIY skimmer will suck up a good amount of the water that my LR will displace. These tanks are really sweet. I was sold on the lighting setup. When you look at it from a distance, the light looks like it's hovering over the tank because of the clear plastic brackets. One of our LFS has a light pedistal exactly like this one over a 180g. It's a beautiful setup.

Lunchbucket
12/22/2002, 10:30 AM
yeah i too thought my LFS's was a sweet set up and for only $126!!!

i think you should be ok w/ that overflow to hid stuff BUT...if you drilled too big of holes in the bottom you won't get any surface skimming..it will all come from the bottom. get some pics when you can.

i would love to get one of these and add another 2x18wPC's for 4x18w. that would be nice. i thought about just using the stock and doing a nice shroom tank for an easy one instead of my hightech one i hvae now :D

where do you get 18w PC's???

more pics please
Lunchbucket

RudeBoy
12/22/2002, 05:11 PM
Lunch, I thought about the holes AFTER I drilled them and I found a remedy for the possible surface skimming issue. The holes are pretty small (and 3 inches from the bottom of the tank), so, I moved my skimmer pump closer to the surface of the water to make the draw of the water stronger near the top of the tank. If it becomes an issue, I'll plug those holes up quickly.

I think AHSupply has them(18w bulbs)... they're right here in my home town. You know what I'm gonna do? I'm gonna crack open the ballast box that houses the dual ballasts and see if they can be upgraded to at least 32w ballasts. I'd love to have 64w on this baby. But, I'm able to grow green and orange capricornis, digitata, staghorn and green bali slimer under only 39w. I have a 2:1 ratio on the lights right now, that explains the weird wattage number. I have 2 whites and one actinic on my old 10g.

Lunchbucket
12/22/2002, 08:37 PM
But, I'm able to grow green and orange capricornis, digitata, staghorn and green bali slimer under only 39w. I have a 2:1 ratio on the lights right now, that explains the weird wattage number. I have 2 whites and one actinic on my old 10g.

you are!!! how is the coloration and how well do they grow??

Lunchbucket

RudeBoy
12/22/2002, 08:52 PM
They're beautiful. I basically just place frags in there and let them do their thing. Check this out, I have Digitata in my 29g under 130w of PC and the polyps never come out on it. I put a frag of it in my nano and the polyps are always out. Sure, it takes a little longer to grow in the nano but the water flow plays a huge part. Especially with the Capricornis. I've heard a lot of myths about needing at least 96w to grow Cap, that's bull. I have a small head of Green Frogspawn in my 29 and I'm moving it and a new piece of Cap to the nano tonight. I'll document the progress so you can see how all the so-called hard to grow frags are doing.

Lunchbucket
12/23/2002, 09:50 AM
that would be cool to see the growth of them

thanks
Lunchbucket

RudeBoy
12/23/2002, 11:04 AM
I set up the new tank last night and I PROMISE to post new pics. I have a friggin' $599 digital camera that I'm still trying to tweak to get the best pics possible. It's a shame to have beautiful corals and have them diminished because of poor camera work. So, I'm practicing now and will post the best pics I get out of it.

hEcToR1520
12/25/2002, 01:06 AM
JESUS CHRIST THAT THING IS FOR $75 AT MY LFS. Note to self: gotta go pick one of those up. I thought it was acrylic too, that's why I never even looked twice at the thing.

RudeBoy
12/25/2002, 11:39 AM
Yeah, do yourself a favor and pick one up man. They are a sweet piece of glass! (hehe) Unfortunately for me, I put a small scratch on the outside of mine while I was working on the setup. Kinda ****ed about it. Here's a shot of mine after the setup. I've since added a Rio 400 for circulation.

http://www.itsagirlent.com/tank/front_a.jpg

RudeBoy
12/25/2002, 11:40 AM
Here's a shot from the left side.

http://www.itsagirlent.com/tank/leftside.jpg