PDA

View Full Version : Lighting for Anemones

Rivah Rat
01/20/2001, 09:56 PM
My favorite thing in tanks are anemonies esp. Sebaes. I would like to add one to my tank for my maroon clown what kind of lights will I need?

Carlos
01/21/2001, 04:21 PM
Can you give us some more details about your tank such as size, height, age, water parameters, current lighting, do you have any corals, any fish?

Carlos

Rivah Rat
01/21/2001, 04:36 PM
Oh absolutely, I believe it is either a 55 gal.or a 45 long it measures 48"x20"high x18"wide. Right now I only have 3 48" fo lights. I want to upgrade and trying to decide the best way to go.I think my question should have been do I need MH for a sebae or can I get away with 4 110W ( icecap 660)? and can you tell by the measurements what size tank I have?

Agu
01/21/2001, 11:52 PM
Your tank is about 80 gallons per my inexact calculations. A 55 is 48 by 12 by 20, and you're about 1.5 times that.

Not to be a critic, but if you have to ask the question, you're probably not ready for an anemone. I currently have a sebae (bought it from a hobbyist who was moving, for the pc police)in a 37 gal with 150watts of pc lighting. It's actually in shade, but the color is dark with purple tips.

Also research if sebae anemones host maroon clowns? I have a pair of clarkii clowns with my anemone. They're the only fish in the tank. Hope you realise maroon clowns can get quite large, my LFS has one over 4", and at that size they become territorial and aggressive.

Agu

Carlos
01/22/2001, 12:14 AM
It seems that you are still in the process of converting your tank to a reef tank. For this reason, I would highly recommend against it at this time. Your tank is not ready for an anemone nor you do not have the necessary equipment to maintain it.

I would highly recommend getting your reeftank going, get the water chemistry right, good equipment, a little more experience and then try the anemone. I am not saying you should not have an anemone and a clown, I am just saying that it would be a good decision to delay the purchase until you have gained more experience.

I would highly recommend the following books:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1582451176/o/qid=980140311/sr=8-1/ref=aps_sr_b_1_1/102-4254038-5559316
Small book but packed with information on how to set up a reef tank and explains how everything works.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1890087009/qid=980140859/sr=2-1/ref=sc_b_1/102-4254038-5559316
Another great book for starting and setting up a reef tank. From choosing the type of live rock to the different types of lighting that one can use.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1890087041/qid=980140914/sr=1-2/ref=sc_b_2/102-4254038-5559316
A great book that deals only with Clownfishes and Anemones. This is an excellent book where you will find loads of information on preparing a tank for your clowns and anemones to the keeping of the pair. Excellent book!

I have all three books and I use them all the time as reference!

Take your time and read as much as possible. Remember that "Good things take time!"

Keep on reefing!!!

Carlos

Rivah Rat
01/22/2001, 06:59 PM
OOPS,what is the old saying? measure twice,and post once.I was rushing to get the answer back to Carlos and read the tape measure wrong.You were right AGU, it is 48x12x20 a 55 gal.When it was given to me my friend told me it was a 45 long. I can't say I've ever seen a 45 long so I took his word that was what it was and I didn't really care. It sits on a 55 gal stand. Anyway after reading Dr. Ron I know I can't get an anemone because I have a crushed coral substrate. I wanted to change to sand anyway esp. since I can get the right HD sand for about $3 a bag. AGU what did you mean when you refered to the PC police? And I thought sebae's should be white with purple tips that's what I've always seen.Could it be the MH that is turning it brown?

carolina98
02/01/2001, 12:19 PM
No, it's not the MH's! Your sebae is regaining his xooanthelle (sp?)... in other words, he's getting healthy! The white ones that you see at the LFS are on their way downhill (if not already there), as they've expelled the algae inside that keeps them alive. It's a symbiotic relationship, and one cannot live without the other. Read up on anemones! Fascinating, but not for the beginner.

HTH,

Agu
02/01/2001, 03:31 PM
PC police = those who tell you that you've done something that's not politically correct(PC)

pc lighting = powercompact lighting, no halides on this tank

Most species of anemones have a dismal record of survival in captivity. By purchasing these animals we're encouraging the harvest and importation of doomed animals. That's neither smart nor PC !! There are two types that are considered "easier", bubble tip and long tentacle anemones. Even these "easier" anemones are not recommended for inexperienced aquarists. By purchasing from another hobbyist I'm not encouraging the importation of more animals. (or at least that's how I justify getting an anemone :( ) Also this anemone was healthier, dark tan with purple tips,rather than the white ones without xoozanthella sold by retailers.

The best thing to do is pay up the extra bucks for a captive raised anemone. Many people have posted that their anemones have reproduced by splitting, and they're occasionally available to other reefers.

Agu

naclh20
02/01/2001, 07:31 PM
In reference to Caro,
there are white anenomes, are there not? I see a picture of H. Malu on the back of the Fautin/Allen book "Anenome Fishes and their Host Sea Anenomes" that is very white.
I have the same lighting question, only for a H. Malu. My anenome really seems to like less light (tightens up and shrinks when all 130w are on), yet everything I read says successful keepers use at least 8w per gallon on their anenome's. Is there an 'ultimate' guide to keeping anenome's?
Thanks for any help here.