fitzyu
01/20/2001, 06:22 PM
Hi Doc, So...if you had a favorite
Test kit for Calcium, Phosphates, Alkalinity
Which ones would it be?

rshimek
01/21/2001, 07:34 AM
Hi,

Well, I haven't tested anything except specific gravity in my tanks for about 5 years.

I don't think it is necessary.

DedHed
01/21/2001, 08:04 PM
but dr. ron,

if you don't perform water tests, what are some of the signs you look for that would indicate to you the water is in check?

i'm also interested in looking for deficiancies, or other indicators, rather than water testing. i think that would be much more reliable and accurate.

please elaborate.

dennis

rshimek
01/21/2001, 08:34 PM
Hi Dennis,

Basically I fall back on the most accurate of tests, animal and algal condition.

I monitor the appearance of the animals and make sure they are growing or if they are not, I try to figure out why (generally predation or competition in the system).

In ecological consulting terms, I guess what I am doing would be called using "bioassays" to assess the tank's well being.

Specifically things to do...
Learn your animals. Watch them, see how they react to various conditions. During this period, use water tests to see the changes in conditions. Take notes or keep a journal.
Choose a couple of organisms that will be your "indicators." Xenia is good as it normally is rapidly growing - so changes in growth rate and pattern are good indicators. Stony coral growth is easy to monitor and is an indicator of well being. The calcareous coral Halimeda is a good indicator of calcium level and water conditions in general. If this alga is growing well, the calcium level is adequate, and normal water conditions are pretty good. Negative bioassays also are present, watch for the appearance of cyanobacteria, for example. It can mean a lot of things, but generally means an excess of dissolved nutrient. Every tank will have its own indicator organisms.
Keep in mind animals have a heirarchy of conditions. Growth occurs only when all basic conditions are satisfied.
Remember, nothing "just" dies. Try to figure out why all deaths occur. Only if you know why something dies can you prevent it from occurring again.

[Edited by rshimek on 01-22-2001 at 06:31 AM]

DedHed
01/21/2001, 10:40 PM
quite profound

thanks

dennis