PDA

View Full Version : What size skimmer for a 10gal.

Im Lon 2
12/19/2002, 04:26 PM
I now have a 10gal tank with no skimmer, but as much as I have read, I think it would be a good Idea to have one to help take the bad things out of the water. I do water changes every week once in a while I might miss one. But I have a hair algae problem that just drives me nuts:( I don’t know if this will help with the hair algae or not but at least I will have cleaner water :D

Just need to know what size is a good size?

Lunchbucket
12/19/2002, 05:49 PM
i would get a remora for your 10gal....don't even waste your time on a prism.

Lunchbucket

cthedaytrader
12/20/2002, 04:43 PM
I agree with Lunchbucket,

I have a 15g (same height though as your ten) and I ran the tank for about 3 months without a skimmer. I never had a prism but I have never read anything good about it. I found an almost new Remora on Ebay for a great price, with the maxi jet and overflow box upgrades. marinedepot has it at a good price too. It works great and is very quite, from what I understand the prism makes ton of noise, I also dont have any micro bubbles and my tank is doing really well, I do water changes now about every 3 weeks without any problems.

spend the extra bucks and get the Remora. You would proably have better luck using the Remora on a bigger tank too if you decided to upgrade to a larger tank.

semtorque
01/08/2003, 05:37 PM
I agree that the Remora may be better..... but looking at things realistically, there are a couple of things to consider....

1. A 15gal tank really doesn't need that much skimming power, most of the nutrient export will occur through water changes....

2. The Remora may be better, but is it $80 better?? (based on the Prizim being $75 and the Remora $160 (marinedepot)

3. If you are considering buying a skimmer for a tank of this size and then going to upgrade eventually ( to a much larger tank, 55gal ?) the Remora is too small anyway. ($80 to spend on MH for the 55)

Just as a side note: I own a Prizm for my 29gal. It's really not too bad. Once you figure out the proper setting just mark it so you don't have to fiddle anymore. Also make sure to clean it out every 2-3 days to keep it running strong....

Mike :beachbum:

Im Lon 2
01/08/2003, 06:30 PM
what about CPR Bak Pak 2. Anybody know of anything good/bad about these?

Chrismo
01/08/2003, 11:21 PM
I'm running a CPR backpak on my 10g nano.

Works really well, and in the that empty half of it that the water exits from, I put a bit of sand and live rock, and it acts like a fuge. Lots of critters in there.

Only problem is that the skimmer hangs down past the tank an inch... which isnt bad for me because it just hangs past the back edge of my desk.

Chrismo

Lunchbucket
01/09/2003, 10:13 AM
Once you figure out the proper setting just mark it so you don't have to fiddle anymore

LOL, yeah i too figured out how to get it producing dry foam...and WHEN it worked it would work ok...besides the stopping ever 5minutes up to 10x's/night. it is a major PIMA. just won't keep running. i tried everything as have many others and it still quits. POS in MO.

get a backpack over the prism. otherwise a remora is nice. what about a HOT airstone DIY one? that would save some $$

Lunchbucket

Pinecone_Jeff
01/09/2003, 10:20 AM
I just got a Remora for my 37 gal and so my Bak Pak 2R is going to my 10 gal! I can't wait! I say go for either skimmers.

Im Lon 2
01/09/2003, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Lunchbucket
what about a HOT airstone DIY one? that would save some $$

How do you go about this? I kinda like this DIY stuff. But I don't like the bending plastic for like over flow boxes.

Lunchbucket
01/09/2003, 02:34 PM
would be harder than a sump DIY but could be done.

just use PVC for the inlet and outlet. use 90's to get it over the lip of the tank. thread PVC to accept 1/2" inlet fittings. i would use prolly 1" out.

it should work but i have never done one. would use the same concept as the snailman one. just would hot.

Lunchbucket

gas4544
01/09/2003, 06:10 PM
I suggest using a Sanders Piccolo, if you can find one. I am using one now on my ten-gallon nano placed in an Aqua-Clear hong-on filter.